Part-Time Instructor (Chemistry) Location:
Valdosta State University Regular/Temporary:
Regular Full/Part Time:
Part-Time Job ID:
As a comprehensive institution of the University System of Georgia, Valdosta State University (VSU) is a welcoming, aware, and vibrant community founded on and dedicated to serving our communities’ rich and diverse heritages. Through excellence in teaching, basic and applied research, and service, VSU provides rigorous programs and opportunities that enrich our students, our university, and our region. As such, the VSU mission consists of three interrelated parts that includes a student mission, university mission and regional mission. The university is equally dedicated to the core values of community, including a commitment to practice civility, integrity and citizenship. As members of this community and proud Blazers we strive to uphold these core values for the advancement of the University.
The selected candidate will be responsible for teaching courses in the candidate’s area of expertise.
This position will teach lecture and/or lab course(s). Courses may be online, hybrid, or face-to-face. Responsibilities include:
- Hold regular office hours and effectively communicate with students,
- Prepare lesson plans that include active learning pedagogies,
- Employ technology such as a student response system and online homework system, as appropriate,
- Prepare and grade exams to measure course learning objectives,
- Maintaining detailed records of student performance in LMS, and
- Report to Chemistry Department Head and faculty mentor.
Typical Allocation of Duties:
- Completed at least 18 credits of graduate courses in Chemistry
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Demonstrated commitment to excellence in teaching and learning
- Commitment to diversity and inclusion
- Teaching experience
- Ability to work effectively in a collaborative setting
- A record of mentoring students of diverse backgrounds
Commensurate with experience
Conditions of Employment
Employment is contingent upon successful completion of a background check. Position May Require Credit Check (if using P-Card, working with Cash, etc.).
Position Requires completion of VSU’s Annual Compliance Training course (such as State Business Transactions, Drug Free Workplace, Anti-Harassment Policy, Introduction to Information Security, Workers Compensation, Motor Vehicle Policy, USG Ethics Policy, Conflict of Interest/ Outside Activities Policy, Leave Procedures for Faculty and Staff, Georgia Open Records Act, Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA), and Contracts 101. Supervisory positions require training in FMLA and Worker’s Compensation.
Equal Employment Opportunity
Valdosta State University is an Equal Opportunity educational institution and has a strong institutional commitment to diversity and inclusion. In that spirit, we are particularly interested in receiving applications from a broad spectrum of people, including, but not limited to minorities and individuals with disabilities. Valdosta State University has a non-discrimination policy that includes sex, race, color, sexual orientation, religion, age, marital status, national origin, disability, and veteran status.
VSU reserves the right to:
- View social media outlets
- Check references at any point during the search process
- Shut down a posting without additional notification.