Assistant Managing Editor - Kenyon Review
Job no: 492597
Work type: Non-Exempt Staff
Location: Gambier, OH
The Kenyon Review is conducting a search for a qualified candidate to serve as Assistant Managing Editor. Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Assistant Managing Editor provides essential support for the production and editorial activities of the Review. The position also offers room for advancement depending on the interests and abilities of the superior candidate. This is a full-time, 12-month position. The hourly rate of pay is $16.50.
- Oversee Kenyon Review’s submissions software (Submittable) throughout the annual reading period (Sept.-May).
- Partner with editors and student associate readers to facilitate reading and timely responses to submissions; respond to unsolicited email submissions.
- Oversee Poetry, Fiction, and Nonfiction contests; work with student interns and freelance editors to process submissions and narrow down finalists.
- Manage publication schedules for print and online journals, keeping them up-to-date and corresponding with authors as necessary.
- Assist with populating the Kenyon Review website with archive material as well as current content.
- Assist with designing, creating, and sending marketing emails for the organization. Additional design work possible depending on interest/abilities.
- Oversee copyediting for the KR Blog and the KR Reviews, prepare layouts for professional copyediting for KROnline.
- Support Operations Manager as needed with general office duties.
- Support Summer Programs staff as needed with organizational tasks and database maintenance.
Knowledge Skills & Abilities
- Excellent speaking and writing skills.
- Strong organizational skills with attention to detail.
- Strong interpersonal skills as well as persistence, creativity, and the ability to work independently as well as in a teamwork setting.
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, prioritizing time sensitive assignments.
- Interest in continued education and willingness to learn new skills, including, but not limited to, software, content management systems, and web applications.
The Kenyon Review is a collaborative workplace that promotes friendly relationships with colleagues and students. The ability to multi-task, plan ahead, organize and manage numerous details simultaneously is paramount. Work is generally performed in the office environment from 8:30 am to 4:30 pm.
Bachelor’s degree (preferably in the humanities). Must be adept at word processing and spreadsheet software (Microsoft Word and Excel). Strong copy editing skills are an asset. Experience with HTML, content management systems (WordPress), database software (FileMaker Pro), and Adobe InDesign and Photoshop as well as previous experience with Submittable and/or editorial slotting is desirable.
Kenyon College is a nationally prominent, private liberal arts college where academic excellence goes hand in hand with a strong sense of community and close relationships among students and professors.
Compensation and Benefits
Salaries at Kenyon are competitive and commensurate with experience. In addition to an attractive salary, Kenyon offers benefits for employees and their family members. Children of employees are eligible for 100% tuition waivers at Kenyon, and through the Great Lakes Colleges Association, children of employees are eligible for 85% tuition waivers at fifteen other of the nation's finest liberal arts colleges.
We also offer health and dental insurance, TIAA/CREF retirement, and many other benefits, including provisions for a spouse, families, and domestic partners. Details about benefits as well as conditions of employment are described more fully in our Staff Handbook.
Kenyon is a unique place to live and work. To discover why it should be your next home, click here.
Kenyon College is an equal opportunity employer. It is the College's policy to evaluate qualified applicants without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, physical and/or mental disability, age, religion, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, or any other characteristic protected by institutional policy or state, local, or federal law.
Advertised: 09 May 2019 Eastern Daylight Time