This Employer's Jobs
San Diego, CA
Fort Myer, VA
University of Maryland University College is a Maryland-based public institution of higher education with open admission, global reach and a specific mission: to offer quality academic programs to students whose responsibilities may include jobs, family and military service. A pioneer in adult and distance education since 1947, UMUC strives to harness the power of learning science and technology to educate its students. Today, the University offers undergraduate and graduate degree programs as well as support services to about 97,000 students in Maryland and around the world.
UMUC is unique in having served the educational needs of the U.S. military across the span of eight decades. A member institution of the University System of Maryland, UMUC is regionally accredited by the Commission on Higher Education of the Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
UMUC is a University System of Maryland institution with a significant national profile.
· In FY 2013, UMUC enrolled more students worldwide than any other four-year, degree-granting public university in the United States.*
· The number of stateside students has increased by more than 25% over the last 10 years to 47,906 in fall 2014.
· USM Board of Regents projections estimate that UMUC's student headcount will grow 13% by 2023.
UMUC is a world leader in online education.
· In FY 2014, UMUC had more than 243,000 worldwide online course enrollments.
· Currently, UMUC offers 93 degrees, specializations, and certificates.
· In FY 2014, UMUC offered more than 1,000 distinct courses online.
· UMUC has received five Sloan Consortium Excellence in Online Teaching and Learning awards for Institution-Wide Asynchronous Learning Network Programming; Most Outstanding Online Teaching and Learning Program for UMUC’s Master of Distance Education, Master of Business Administration, and Master of Science in Biotechnology; and Excellence in Faculty Development for Online Teaching.
UMUC is a Maryland institution addressing Maryland's needs.
· In FY 2014, UMUC served more than 32,000 Marylanders.
· In FY 2014, UMUC offered on-site instruction at 18 locations throughout Maryland.
· Maryland residents represented 48% of UMUC’s fall 2014 stateside enrolled students.
· As of FY 2014, UMUC has alliances with all 16 Maryland Community Colleges that include more than 300 articulated programs.
· In fall 2014, UMUC enrolled more than 4,600 students in the undergraduate and graduate cyber security programs.
UMUC is a global institution.
· In FY 2014, UMUC’s overseas divisions offered on-site classes in more than 25 countries and territories throughout the world, enrolling 27,773 individual students in undergraduate and graduate programs in Asia and Europe.
· UMUC has received three IMS Global Learning Consortium awards: the Learning Impact Award; Best in Category, Faculty Development Network for the UMUC faculty e-zine; and Best in Category, Online Laboratory for UMUC’s online hands-on labs in information assurance.
UMUC provides access to higher education for minority students.
· UMUC enrolls more African American students than any of the four Maryland historically black colleges and universities. In fall 2014, 30% of UMUC’s stateside students were African American students; minority students constituted 46% of the total enrollment.
· In FY 2014, 31% of UMUC students who took at least one online class were African American.
· In FY 2014, 37% of the master’s degrees UMUC conferred and 30% of all degrees and certificates at UMUC were awarded to African American students.
UMUC provides higher education opportunities to working adults.
· As of spring 2014, 74% of undergraduate students enrolled in UMUC’s stateside programs were working full-time.
· More than half (54%) of UMUC stateside students are working parents.
· In fall 2014, the median age for students enrolled in UMUC’s stateside undergraduate programs was 31 years old.
UMUC continues its long history of delivering higher education to our military.
· Today, UMUC enrolls approximately 54,000 active-duty military, reservist, dependent, and veteran students.
· UMUC offers courses and/or services at 140 worldwide locations on four continents.
· Military Times Edge ranked UMUC one of the “Best for Vets Colleges” in 2014.
· Victory Media, publisher of G.I. Jobs and Guide to Military Friendly Schools, named UMUC among the top military-friendly colleges and universities in 2014.