Since joining the ranks of other prestigious Michigan colleges in 1964, Southwestern Michigan College has continually expanded its curriculum and now offers more than 30 Associate degrees. Accredited by The Higher Learning Commission of the North Central Association of Colleges and Schools, Southwestern Michigan College is also a member of the American Association of Community Colleges.
Colleges and universities periodically engage in a process of self-study and external review in order to renew their accreditation status. Southwestern Michigan College completed its self-study and was re-accredited through 2021.
The core values of Southwestern Michigan College describe the beliefs that direct the college in all that it does.
- “Excellence with a Personal Touch” is a working principle guiding our actions.
- High quality is inherent in all that Southwestern Michigan College does.
- We have a commitment to be responsible managers of college resources: human resources by promoting growth, satisfaction, and empowerment; financial resources by operating with a balanced budget and investing in the future; physical resources by maintaining a high quality physical plant.
- We believe in “Knowledge for all.” As the only institution of higher education in the district, Southwestern Michigan College has the dual responsibilities of providing postsecondary career preparation for those who are seeking immediate employment and college coursework and degrees for those seeking baccalaureate degrees.
- We have a commitment to being a learner-centered college, developing students through a total college life experience and providing them with 21st century services.
The mission of Southwestern Michigan College is to serve our community by providing affordable local access to high quality postsecondary career preparation and college education – including the total college life experience.
A Michigan community college that averages in the top 5 percent for student transfer success, Southwestern Michigan College offers programs that lead to Associate degrees and/or certificates.