Frostburg State University, one of eleven constituent institutions in the University of Maryland System, seeks applications for a Chief Information Officer. Salary is competitive and includes USM benefits package.
RESPONSIBILITIES: Serve as the University’s leader and advocate for information technology with the responsibility for strategic planning, coordinating, and implementing a comprehensive technology environment for both academic and administrative computing in alignment with the University’s mission and strategic plan. This position will define and drive the overall information technology strategy and policy across the University. The CIO will work with campus constituencies to ensure excellence and integrity in identifying, recommending, implementing, and supporting technology solutions to achieve University goals. Specific tasks include, but are not limited to:
• Develops and implements IT strategies, tactical plans, and annual work plans.
• Identifies and achieves efficiencies through technological and workflow improvements.
• Supports the strategic plan of the University as it relates to the fundamental areas of information technology. Prioritizes initiatives and coordinates evaluation of the deployment and management of current and future initiatives. Collaborate with departments to develop, build, and maintain information technology resource and plan for the support of those resources.
• Develops, communicates, and aligns short-range strategic information technology to executve team and key stakeholders.
• Analyzes and improves upon standards across the University to support the University’s competitive edge within the market.
• Identifies potential areas for cost savings.
• Defines and communicates appropriate procedures, policies, and standards for IT departments for implementing and operating new plans.
• Oversees compliance and information technology security activities and reporting.
• Motivates and manages a team of IT staff supporting the University’s mission and leads the process of developing an IT vision for the future.
• Fosters and builds a collaborative working relationship with institutional constituents.
• Represents the University at USM Tech Councils and other USM meetings and state agencies and ensures functionality and interoperability with USM assets.
• Remains current and knowledgeable of industry trends and emerging trends in anticipation of new business processes and system alterations.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Master’s degree in Information Science/Technology or related field and at least 7 years of progressively responsible experience managing an IT organization, to include a minimum of 5 years of supervisory experience. Extensive working knowledge and experience in personal computers, network operations and project management. The successful candidate must possess exemplary leadership qualities, experience and a proven history of success in guiding and directing technology organizations to achieve objectives.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS: Experience in a higher education IT setting.
OTHER: Any combination of training and experience substantially equivalent to graduation from an accredited college or university with a master’s degree in a related field and progressively responsible related work experience may be considered.
Frostburg State University is located in the Appalachian highlands (elevation 2,000 feet) of western Maryland. Of its more than 5,440 students, 21% are students of color, 4% are Hispanic and 2% Asian. Additionally 72 international students come from 17 countries. Approximately 2,100 reside on campus in 11 traditional halls and one apartment-style community. The main campus covers 260 acres within the town limits of Frostburg (population 7,500). The University also offers courses at the University System of Maryland at Hagerstown, on the Catonsville Campus of the Community College of Baltimore County and at Arundel Mills Regional Higher Education Center, as well as online.
FSU prides itself on being a dynamic, learning-centered organization that emphasizes teaching, but with opportunities for professional development and research. Students regularly build strong connections with faculty and staff members that often last beyond graduation.
The local region is rich in both history and outdoor activities. Students can visit nearby recreational areas—Rocky Gap, New Germany, and Deep Creek Lake State Parks—which offer camping, boating, swimming, hiking, and skiing.
To apply or for more information, visit our website at https://frostburg.peopleadmin.com .
Application deadline is March 11, 2013.
Frostburg State University welcomes and encourages women and minorities to apply and seeks to recruit and retain a diverse workforce. FSU is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Appropriate auxiliary aids and services for qualified individuals with disability will be provided upon request. Please notify us in advance. WWW.FROSTBURG.EDU