As shown by both the annual and periodic review procedures, a Department Head has important responsibilities, both to the Dean and to the departmental faculty. Department Heads report to the Dean of their School/College and are responsible for the day-to-day operation of their department in the specific areas.
Southern Polytechnic State University, a member of the University System of Georgia, is a residential university with over 6,000 students pursuing bachelors and masters degrees in many of the nation’s fastest growing technology fields. The university, located one mile west of 1-75’s Exit 263, is just 20 minutes northwest of downtown Atlanta. Southern Polytechnic is an EOE/ADA/AA Employer.
1. Working with faculty in collaboration with the dean and the chair(s) of the other department(s) in the School, develop and articulate a vision and long-range plan for the department that is consistent with the mission and strategic plan of the University and the School, and lead in the implementation of the plan.
2. Develop and maintain a governance structure that promotes and supports collegiality.
3. Working with faculty, and in collaboration with the dean and the chair(s) of the other department(s) in the School, create course schedules and teaching assignments, consistent with the needs of students and ensuring an equitable distribution of teaching load among the members of the department; where necessary, identify suitable adjunct faculty.
4. Working with faculty, and in collaboration with the dean and the chair(s) of the other department(s) in the School, coordinate the development, implementation, and evaluation of the department’s outcomes assessment program and use the results to improve the department’s program(s) and its retention and graduation rates.
5. Keep departmental faculty and staff informed of relevant departmental, school and university policies, procedures, goals, initiatives, and plans.
6. Develop, oversee, and manage the budget; seeks to obtain the resources necessary for the faculty and the department to fulfill their responsibilities in teaching and learning and to provide a pleasant, professional environment in which to do so.
7. Coordinate the recruitment, selection, and orientation of faculty and staff, evaluate and recommend for appointment, reappointment, non-reappointment, promotion, tenure, and pre- and post-tenure reviews, as well as conduct accurate appraisals of faculty and staff performance for their annual evaluation, for integrating new faculty into campus life.
8. Foster relationships with community agencies, industries and institutions; promote the department’s image to the profession, other academic institutions, and the community; work effectively with peers on campus; and encourage and facilitate faculty securing outside funding and resources.
9. Occasionally teach courses.
10. Foster, participate in, and support faculty and staff professional development, and scholarship.
11. Performs other duties as assigned by the Dean of the College/School.
Desirable Knowledge Skills and Abilities
Previous experience in academic administration is preferred.
An academic record consistent with appointment to full professor in the Department.
Candidates must hold a Ph.D in a computing discipline or a closely related area, and demonstrate a strong commitment to excellence in teaching, scholarship, and professional service, and shared governance. The chair is expected to work closely together with the dean and other school administrators in the implementation of the CSE strategic plan. In addition, he or she is expected to oversee the day-to-day operations of the department.
The position is a 12-month appointment.
Special Instructions for Applicants
In addition to the required documents which must be uploaded, please note the following additional information:
-A minimum of four professional references with contact information must ALSO be provided.
All application materials must be submitted online.
The review of materials will begin immediately.
For more information, please contact:
Dr. Han Reichgelt, Dean
School of Computing and Software Engineering
Southern Polytechnic State University
1100 South Marietta Parkway
Marietta, GA 30060
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org 
Work Schedule 8:00am - 5:00pm
Days of the Week Monday - Friday
Anticipated Application Screening Start Date
Desired Start Date
Open Date 02/04/2013
Open Until Filled Yes
Quick Link http://employment.spsu.edu:80/postings/2100