There is a community that exists inside our organization. Working as a team at Ashford University, we build partnerships while providing opportunities for students and employees to grow and become their best. We nurture our employees and strive to promote from within.
Ashford University’s vision is to provide high-quality, accessible and affordable degree programs that meet the diverse educational needs of individuals pursuing informed personal goals and success in their professions and communities.
Ashford University was founded on the principle that education improves lives. Ashford University employees witness such change every day. Ashford University is doing well by doing good, and we value the opportunity we've been given.
The Quantitative Research Specialist is a full time employment opportunity. As a valued member of Ashford University’s Planning and Effectiveness unit, the Quantitative Research Specialist reports to the Associate Vice President for Assessment and Evaluation. This qualified individual will play a critical role in a research and evaluation team whose responsibility is to partner with Ashford University administration, faculty, and staff in using data to drive planning and decision making.
The individual in this position will design and conduct quantitative research and analysis utilizing descriptive and inferential statistical techniques, including data mining, to answer questions that impinge on Ashford’s effectiveness. Through advanced statistical modeling and forecasting, in a team environment, this researcher will provide in-depth information, interpretation, and recommendations about strategic issues and initiatives that contribute to Ashford’s success.
Essential Job Duties:
• Initiate and conduct high-quality quantitative research and analysis, from conception through final report, to provide insight and actionable results and recommendations.
• Consult with data owners, department managers, and Planning and Effectiveness team members to understand the issue or problem for which research is to be conducted and determine the appropriate research design.
• Utilize expertise of research and evaluation team members as needed and appropriate.
• Design research appropriate to the business need, including selecting and applying appropriate sampling techniques and statistical tests.
• Collect, clean, and prepare data for analysis.
• Effectively utilize advanced statistical techniques as appropriate to meet decision makers’ needs; assuring that all assumptions of the techniques are tested and evaluated.
• Apply general principles used in research and evaluation (e.g. reliability, validity, assumptions testing) and compute and evaluate such testing.
• Positively contribute to the Planning and Effectiveness unit’s research and evaluation team discussions and projects to assure innovative, high-quality research.
• Effectively collaborate with administrators, faculty, and staff who use this unit’s services and other departments that provide analytical support and applications development.
• Develop research plans and strategies and estimate work effort with minimal guidance.
• Participate in professional development to assure currency and continuous skill enhancement relevant to institutional needs.
• Adhere to professional research and statistical protocols and standards in support of high quality research.
• Adhere to data confidentiality and security standards and protocols.
• Additional duties as assigned.
• Commitment to Mission: Aligns with the Core Values of Integrity, Ethics, and Service through behaviors that demonstrate a positive commitment to the customer and the organization.
• Communication: Aligns with the Core Values of Service through oral and written communication skills and internal/external relationships.
• Service: Encompasses the company’s core values of service; including service to the organization, customer community.
• Personal Planning: Aligns with personal accountability and responsibility.
Knowledge & Experience
• Strong understanding of descriptive and inferential statistical techniques, including data mining models, and their appropriate use and interpretation. Prefer knowledge of forecasting, time series, and SEM.
• Demonstrated expertise with inferential statistical techniques and their application to practical problems.
• Experience preparing data for analysis and using data management techniques, e.g. cleaning, coding, processing, classifying, storing, and documenting.
• Demonstrated expertise in using statistical analysis and data mining software packages such as SAS, SPSS, Tableau. Prefer experience utilizing large, complex data sets extracted from enterprise systems.
• Proven ability to use analytics to answer applied questions, select appropriate technique, use data visualization and presentation methods appropriate to the audience, and effectively communicate recommendations.
• Ability to consult in advance with users of the research to understand their questions and problem the research is intended to address.
• Ability to productively contribute to research team comprised of members with varying levels of expertise and methodological backgrounds.
• Familiarity with common data confidentiality and security protocols.
• Good written and oral communication skills.
• Strong technical documentation skills.
• Good interpersonal skills.
• Independent thinker; Team player.
• Ability to present ideas in user-friendly language.
• Highly self-motivated and directed.
• Keen attention to detail and accuracy.
• Proven analytical and problem-solving abilities.
• Employment experience in higher education, preferred.
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks.
• Strong customer service orientation.
• Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Masters Degree required, Doctorate Preferred.