Instructor, Food & Nutrition and Program Coordinator in Food Science/Culinology
Job Code: 2-O-14
Opening Date/Time: Fri. 12/14/12 12:00 AM Pacific Time
Closing Date/Time: Tue. 02/12/13 11:59 PM Pacific Time
Salary: $46,037.00 - $109,761.00 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Faculty
Location: Orange Coast College, California
Department: Orange Coast College
FLSA: Non-exempt position, eligible for overtime compensation.
The Program Coordinator must be responsible for all aspects of the program, including management, continuous review and analysis, planning, development and general effectiveness of the program.
1. Function as an instructor and program coordinator for the Food & Nutrition, Food Science/Culinology program; teach assigned classes in theory, classroom laboratory, and field study instruction. 2. Fulfill the professional responsibilities of a full-time faculty member including, but not limited to the following; teach scheduled classes; follow department course outlines; keep accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and progress; post and maintain scheduled office hours; participate in department and division meetings and college and/or district wide activities and committees as assigned. 3. Maintain program and course Student Learning Outcomes and assessment processes. 4. Function as Food & Nutrition/Food Science/Culinology Program Coordinator: • Ensure and maintain compliance with program to the Research Chef’s Association standards. Includes communication and preparation of reports with appropriate agencies as well as the district and college administration. • Conduct ongoing program evaluation and program review, maintaining program and course Student Learning Outcomes and assessment. • Oversees program administration, student recruitment, admission and advising, budgetary assessment, planning and preparation. • Responsible for curriculum according to National standards, State and local regulations - course development, updates, planning, revising, implementation, evaluation. • Maintains current knowledge of the professional discipline and educational methodologies through continuing professional development. • Assignment may include recommendation of field study affiliations and the assurance of instructional quality by regular visits to business sites. • Coordinate the scheduling of classes, including the recommendation of part time faculty assignments to department IUA/Chair and Division Dean. • Communicate with state and national professional associations. • Work cooperatively toward mutual goals with other program coordinators and with the Hospitality Department Faculty. • Coordinate the operation and maintenance of the foods lab, recommend the purchase of equipment and supplies, and coordinate repair of lab equipment to assure program quality. • Develop instructional innovations to ensure program success. • Assist with program outreach, including publicity, community relations, advisory committee membership and meetings, external funding, transfer agreements and opportunities, and campus events.
1. Must meet one of the following qualifications under (a) through (e):
a. Possess the California Community College Teaching Credential for this subject area.
b. Possess a Master's degree from an accredited institution in nutrition, dietetics, or dietetics and food administration.
c. Possess a Bachelor's degree in any of the above AND a master’s degree in chemistry, public health, or family and consumer studies/home economics from an accredited institution.
d. Possess a Bachelor’s degree in nutrition, dietetics, or dietetics and food administration, AND certification as a registered dietician.
e. Or, possess a combination of education and experience that is at least the equivalent to the above. Candidates making an application on the basis of equivalency must submit an Application for Equivalency in addition to all other required materials.
2. Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
1. Qualified Culinology faculty recognized by membership in the Research Chef’s Association. The membership needs to be as a Culinology member or Food Science & Technology member (see www.culinology.org  ).
2. Five (5) years’ experience of combined work experience and education in one of the following areas – Nutrition, food science, food engineering, or biochemistry.
3. Successful teaching experience in food/nutrition/food science at the community college or higher level.
4. Experience in teaching theory, application, and laboratory courses
5. Registered Dietitian
6. Active Professional affiliations (Institute of Food Sciences, Southern California Institute of Food Sciences, etc.)
Conditions of Employment:
Contract (tenure track), full-time, two-semesters per year, 175 days, Fall Semester - August 2013
Salary Range: Full-time, two-semester position with a maximum starting range of $46,037.00 - $78,490.00 is offered, based on the 2012-2013 Salary Schedule of $46,037.00 to $109,761.00. In addition, an annual stipend of $2,781.00 is offered for possession of an earned doctorate from an accredited institution.
Pay Philosophy: Starting salaries for academic positions are based on a combination of education and experience. Initial placement is within the starting salary range. Further advancements are based on longevity and professional development. An additional annual stipend is offered for possession of an earned doctorate from an accredited institution.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Applications must be received no later than the posted closing date. There are NO EXCEPTIONS.
Electronic applications may be completed by visiting www.cccd.edu/employment. 
Once you have completed an electronic application, you may apply to open positions within the Coast Community College District by submitting the application and all other required materials. Required materials differ for each open position and must be complete when submitted for a specific posting. Instructions for completing applications and applying to posted positions are available online or by calling Applicant Processing at (714) 438-4714.
All application materials become the property of the Coast Community College District and will NOT be copied or returned. Information for TDD users is available by calling (714) 438-4755.
Application Requirements: To be considered for employment you must submit a complete application packet. A complete application packet includes: A Full-time Faculty Application. Application for Equivalency, if applicable. A cover letter, (not to exceed 3 pages) addressing how you meet both the minimum and desirable qualifications. A current resume, (not to exceed 10 pages) consisting of: professional experience, educational background, teaching experience (list specific courses), publications, list of five (5) references, three (3) of which should include recent supervisors, instructors, or others familiar with your abilities related to this position, and other pertinent information.
NOTE: Applicants selected for an interview will be asked to perform a teaching demonstration and to bring three (3) letters of recommendation. Candidates selected for an interview will also be required to provide "unofficial" transcripts of ALL undergraduate and graduate course work, with the degrees awarded highlighted on the transcripts. Official transcripts or certified copies are NOT required at this time. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION.
To ensure consistency and fairness to all applicants, please do not submit materials in addition to those requested. Additional materials will not be considered or returned. Be sure to complete all questions and sections of the application. For questions which may not apply, indicate "n/a" (not applicable). If you do not know an answer, please indicate so, but do not leave any space blank.
All applications will be screened under a process of utmost confidentiality by a committee of representatives from the college community (reference Board Policy 050-1-1). Please note: Possession of the minimum qualifications does not ensure an interview.
Any documents that you are unable to attach can be faxed to (714) 782-6065. Faxes must clearly indicate the job you are applying to and your name.
Disability Accommodations If you require accommodations in the Application or Examination Process, please notify Human Resources by calling (714) 438-4714 OR (714) 438-4713.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. A detailed list of physical demands and work environment is on file and will be provided upon request.
For more information and to apply visit: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cccd/default.cfm 
Coast Community College District is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.