Posting Title : LAB ANIMAL CARETAKER - The Division of laboratory Animal Medicine (DLAM)
Requisition Number : 1693
City : Medford
State/Province : Massachusetts
Zip code : 02155
Job Description-Overview :
The Division of laboratory Animal Medicine (DLAM) provides facilities, services, and information to facilitate effective research using laboratory animals at Tufts university and Tufts-Medical Center in Boston and Tufts University in Medford. DLAM is also obligated to ensure that animal care procedures and animal experimentation comply with federal, state, and local regulations. The management and operation of the animal care activities are integral to the animal care and use program. All centralized facilites are located within a 2-block radius, either in Boston or Medford, housing in excess of 40,000 animals daily.
The Laboratory Animal Caretaker will be responsible for the daily husbandry of laboratory animals on the Medford campus including but not limited to various species of birds and rodents. Other duties include:
- Monitoring of animal housing room environment,
- Sanitation of the facilities,
- Maintenance of associated equipment,
- Inventory control.
Job Description - Requirements :
- High School Diploma or GED
- 0-2 years of related experience
Must be able to:
- Read, write and understand verbal, as well as written instructions
- Work under conditions of animal odors, heat and humidity from cage washing rooms, and biohazardous materials and chemicals used in research
- Regularly lift and carry weights of approximately 50 pounds with or without accommodation
- Work with a variety of research animals, including rodents, dogs, pigs, cats and monkeys
- Upon proper training, must be able to euthanize animals
- Take and pass AALAS certification at the ALAT level withing 24 months of hire
- Assistant Laboratory Animal Technician (ALAT) certification
- Previous animal husbandry experience
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
Monday - Friday, 7:00am - 3:30pm. Also, work rotating holidays and overtime as the schedule dictates. Overtime and weekend work necessary as the schedule dictates.
Please apply online at http://hr.tufts.edu/jobs 
JOB REQUISITION #: 1693
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.