This is a part-time position at 17.5 hours per week.
The Tufts University Art Gallery is dedicated to conceiving and presenting art exhibitions and educational programs that support the academic and civic ideals of Tufts University. The Gallery fosters cultural exchange by creating a forum for art produced by emerging and mid-career artists, by featuring new work of established artists, and by exposing fresh interpretations and scholarship on art. The Gallery's major constituencies include: current students, faculty and staff on the Tufts Medford/Somerville campus, the School of the Museum of Fine Arts, and other Tufts Schools; the greater university community of alumni, parents, donors, friends, and neighbors; the regional and New England arts community; and arts professionals (including exhibiting artists).
This Staff Assistant position performs administrative support duties for the Tufts University Art Gallery and is supervised by the Director of Galleries and Collections. Major responsibilities include:
• tracking expenses and income in the Gallery's and the Collection's general operating budgets and restricted funds;
• processing all financial transactions;
• administering the Gallery's Contemporary Art Circle program (event invitations, communication, correspondence), scribing meeting minutes for Gallery biweekly staff meetings, Gallery Advisory Board meetings, and Gifts of Art Committee meetings;
• coordinating catering, security, and publicity signage for all Gallery evening events and receptions;
• database management (FileMaker Pro) for Gallery's mailing lists.
Other duties include making travel arrangements for visiting artists and guest speakers, special event planning (room reservations), master office calendar scheduling, word processing, general correspondence, and PeopleSoft accounting analysis.
• High School diploma/GED
• Three (3) years of administrative experience working in a professional office/organization setting, preferably in a non-profit arts organization or academic department
• Valid US driver's license
• Proficiency in Macintosh Office Suite; basic knowledge of Windows/PC
• Excellent communication, customer service and organizational skills
• Ability to lift up to 50 lbs.
Associate’s or Bachelor’s degree is preferred. Access to a vehicle is helpful.
Special Work Schedule Requirements:
Six evening receptions (till 9 p.m.) annually; occasional Thursday evening special events till during academic year; rarely results in more than 40 hour per week.
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.