The University of Connecticut is seeking a self-motivated individual to oversee firewall administration and primarily be responsible for all aspects of firewall management. The successful candidate will support of the University firewall infrastructure and all UTM (Unified Threat Management) services as a team member in the University Information Security Office.
The Firewall and Security Analyst will analyze a diverse range of technical issues across multiple platforms, as well work with a wide range of clients who have little to a broad range of technical skills. The analyst must possess good project management and cross-functional team-building skills; have the ability to plan, organize and establish priorities related to an assignment; work independently with minimal outside support; and handle sensitive information in a confidential manner. Other responsibilities include gathering and analyzing security and performance metrics, determining client/user satisfaction levels, and initiating corrective actions as necessary to ensure continuing quality improvement. This position is ideal for a technical professional whose skills are varied. This job is challenging and offers an excellent opportunity to be exposed to a broad range of technologies
The University of Connecticut has been named the top public university in New England for over a decade and is ranked among the top public universities in the nation. The University of Connecticut is also a Carnegie Foundation Research University, a prestigious honor shared by only the nation's top higher education institutions.
* Work with IT staff across the University to implement consistent security policies across all firewall infrastructures.
* Ensure all firewalls are working properly and have current code installed.
* Document all firewall policy standards and procedures
* Review and analyze firewall logs for system anomalies
* Review and analyze firewall logs for security incidents
* Identify security gaps and recommend solutions
* Communicate security best practices to other IT staff
* Resolve network filtering related trouble reports.
* Administrate VPN Infrastructures.
* Participates in Incident Response for Information Security Incidents.
* Monitors network systems for general health as it relates to network security.
1. Bachelor's Degree in Computer Science or an equivalent combination of training and experience.
2. 2-5 years working experience as a data network administrator or network security analyst.
3. Hands-on working knowledge of firewall policy management
4. Demonstrable competency with intrusion detection systems, network sniffers and vulnerability scanners.
5. Knowledge of VPN, Network Proxies and Network Design.
6. Strong working knowledge of Windows and Linux operating systems.
7. Strong analytical and organizational skills.
8. Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or related field.
9. CISSP or GIAC certifications.
10. Ability to analyze various networks logs and performs network forensics.
11. Experience with Fortinet hardware.
12. Experience with network hardware including hubs, switches and routers.
13. Ability to demonstrate competence with scripting languages such as Python, PHP, PERL.
14. Ability to write general SQL.
15. Experience with automated management of network equipment via vendor APIs.
This is a full-time, permanent position. The University offers a competitive salary, outstanding benefits including employee and dependent tuition reimbursement at UConn, and a highly desirable work environment. Salary will be commensurate with successful candidate's background and experience. For additional information regarding benefits visit: http://www.hr.uconn.edu/docs/enrgde.pdf 
Interested candidates please submit a letter of application and resume that demonstrate how you meet the minimum qualifications and any preferred qualifications you may have for this position, and a list of contact information, including phone numbers, for three professional references. Please apply on-line using the University's Husky Hire applicant system. Please reference search #2013397. Screening will begin immediately.
The University of Connecticut is EEO/AA employer and in keeping with our commitment to build a culturally diverse community, the University of Connecticut invites applications from women, people with disabilities and members of minority groups.