University of Maryland in Baltimore is currently seeking an Electrician to work within the Department of Facilities Management, Operations and Maintenance - Electric Shop. Under general supervision, the selected invidividual will perform electrical work at the journey level. Installs, maintains and repairs equipment and facilities involving electrical circuits carrying less than 13,000 volts.
1. Installs, diagnoses problems, and repairs electrical systems, apparatus, electrical and electronic components of industrial machinery and equipment following electrical code, manuals, schematic diagrams, blueprints and other specifications.
2. Reads and interprets plans, blueprints and specifications for construction or remodeling, and may recommend appropriate modifications or additions to plans.
3. Connects and repairs power supply wires to machines and equipment, and the cables and wires between machines and equipment.
4. Performs maintenance and repairs to electrical equipment including fluorescent and incandescent units, lighting fixtures, wiring, conduit boxes and tubing, switches, motors, generators, and climate control systems.
5. Prepares estimates of time, labor, and materials. Prepares reports reflecting daily operations and project status.
6. Operates and maintains tools and equipment of the electrical trade. Cleans work area upon completion of project.
7. Provides guidance and training in electrical work to other maintenance personnel. May have lead responsibility for special projects.
Note: The intent of this list of primary duties is to provide a representative summary of the major duties and responsibilities of this job. Incumbents perform other related duties assigned. Specific duties and responsibilities may vary based upon departmental needs.
EXPERIENCE: Four years progressively responsible experience in the electrical trade.
Comprehensive knowledge of and skill in the theory, principles, methods and techniques used in the installation, repair, and maintenance of electrical systems, equipment, and apparatus carrying less than 13,000 volts. Thorough knowledge of and skill in basic mathematics including area, volume, weights, and the practical application of fractions, percentages, ratios, and proportions; of OSHA regulations related to the electrical trade; of electrical codes, Underwriters Rules for wiring and installation. Skill in the use and maintenance of the tools and equipment of the electrical trade including testing equipment such as ohmmeters, battery and buzzer and oscilloscopes. Ability to read, interpret, and work from blueprints, drawings, and specifications; to prepare summaries and reports; to communicate effectively and follow directions; to work in, on, around, over and under fixed equipment and machinery; to work from lifts, ladders and scaffolding; to manipulate heavy equipment, tools, and supplies and/or exert force up to 70 lbs.; to concurrently manipulate multiple controls on equipment and machinery; to work in hazardous or irritating environments, confined spaces, and adverse weather or temperature conditions; to wear and work in personal protective equipment.
OTHER: Except for qualifications established by law, additional related experience and formal education in which one has gained the knowledge, skills, and abilities required for full performance of the work of the job class may be substituted for the education or experience requirement on a year-for-year basis with 30 college credits being equivalent to one year of experience.
CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
Candidates selected for employment may be subject to medical inquiries and/or medical examinations to determine ability to perform the job. Valid Maryland Non-commercial Class C or equivalent driver's license may be required. Possession of Maryland State certification as a licensed electrician may be required.
Based on the duties of this position, selected candidates are eligible to participate in the Bargaining Unit (Union).
Salary Range: $36,204 - $48,000 - $59,796
Closing Deadline: 1/30/2013
Original Posting Date: 1/16/2013
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.