Job ID: 2013-41599
# Positions: 1
Posted Date: 1/10/2013
Division: DeVry Inc.
Department: Information Technology
Employment Type: Regular Full-Time
FLSA Status: Exempt
About DeVry Inc.:
About DeVry Inc.
DeVry's purpose is to empower its students to achieve their educational and career goals. DeVry (NYSE: DV; member S&P MidCap 400 Index) is a global provider of educational services and the parent organization of Advanced Academics, American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, Becker Professional Education, Carrington College, Carrington College California, Chamberlain College of Nursing, DeVry Brasil, DeVry University, Ross University School of Medicine and Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine. These institutions offer a wide array of programs in business, healthcare, technology, accounting and finance. For more information, please visit http://www.devryinc.com .
The Senior Manager, Application Development handles day-to-day client service between the technical project teams and members, and the functional area team leader/members; and manages, supervises, and facilitates of specific service line project efforts, current service operations, and resources (financial and staff). Also, manages the technical team efforts, facilitates decision making and problem resolution; mentors and develops the necessary skills of the technical team members; interfaces to Infrastructure group, IT Departments and Functional clients for product support, new development and project completion. Ensures achievement of current service operations and project objectives/outcomes aligned with division-wide goals.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Manages the day-to-day operations of a specific product/service line function including the oversight and management of specific projects, staff and budget. Drives the collaboration with relevant IT departments either contributing to or impacted by current services and projects.
- Participates as an active member of the IT leadership team and the IT leadership group to meet department, division and university goals.
- Manages staffing (recruiting, interviewing, selection), performance evaluations and corrective actions as needed for product/service line staff. Enables the professional development of staff to improve individual and organization performance and productivity.
- Contributes to the establishment of operating standards, project plans, methodologies, and timetables. Contributes to the refinement of these areas as needed and enables their incorporation into Solution Delivery business through effective communication.
- Plans, directs, tracks, and manages progress, resolves issues, and manages changes in current services and projects for the responsible technical team. Escalates problems as needed to appropriate groups (executive, leadership, client). Effectively negotiates changes and provides supporting documentation as needed.
- Provides oversight review and evaluation of project work that is performed by technical project leads. This includes completeness, accuracy, and suitability of work performed. Develops high degree of familiarity with the nature, details, and implications of current services and projects.
- Facilitates an environment in which the various team members are empowered to manage and accomplish the projects to which they are assigned.
- Serves as primary client contact with the client/functional departments for the purposes of understanding business processes, managing expectations, facilitating priority setting and achieving day-to-day client support.
- Assesses and frames clients’ requests for technical support and projects. Negotiates with clients the scope and priorities of requested work as aligned with university priorities.
- Resolves issues and manages conflict with client departments to affect positive long term working relationships.
- Manages and facilitates the “client” relationship with Solution Delivery and other Information Technology departments to achieve support and development goals. Resolves issues and manages conflict towards positive long term working relationships.
- Develops and implements metrics to allow accurate estimation of resource requirements as new demands, techniques or technologies are realized.
- Prepares and distributes status reports for various stakeholders, management groups and Information Technology management.
- Contributes technical expertise to large scale initiatives and feasibility studies. Maintains knowledge of technology industry advances impacting application development, client services or technology management.
- Participates in planning, communication, leadership and problem-solving activities as requested.
- Completes other projects and duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. Below are the minimum requirements of the education, experience, knowledge, and skills required to competently perform in this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent experience required, Master’s degree preferred.
- 10+ years experience in acquiring and demonstrating significant knowledge of business processes
- Highly experienced at successfully driving projects to completion, on time and on budget
- Highly experienced in proactively and collaboratively solving problems, providing solutions and building consensus across various constituents
- Demonstrable experience in managing the client relationship with a focus on long term relationship cultivation
- Experienced at developing and effectively communicating business cases to executive or leadership level
- Experienced at enabling business process improvement and culture change
- Experienced at forging a team environment and managing teams at both the project and management levels
- Knowledge of the higher education industry, its culture and trends
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. Thank you for applying for this outstanding opportunity today.