Function of Position:
Monroe Community College seeks an innovative and dynamic individual for the position of Director of Library Services. The Director will provide strong leadership and vision in developing and implementing library resources and services that strongly support the current and future information needs of the campus community. The Director will play an active key role in the creation of both a new state-of-the-art Interdisciplinary Learning Commons that will integrate library and instructional technologies services and a new downtown campus.
The Director of Library Services provides strategic leadership for all functions of the Monroe Community College Library in support of the College’s mission and serves as its primary advocate. The Director is responsible, in collaboration with library faculty and staff, for developing and administering the budgets, policies and procedures pertaining to library services and resources. The Director ensures that College records and information are managed and archived. The Director reports to the Vice President of Educational Technology Services (ETS) and serves on the ETS Executive Team, working collaboratively on ETS divisional projects and initiatives.
Examples of Duties & Responsibilities:
- Oversees the LeRoy V. Good Library, library services at the Damon City Campus Learning Commons, and Archives and Records Management.
- Articulates and implements a vision for the future of the Monroe Community College Library.
- Plans and implements initiatives to enhance services and collections, to further the creative use of emerging technologies in library services and operations, and to manage the library’s human, fiscal, and physical resources effectively.
- Cultivates partnerships and relationships with the College’s communities in support of MCC’s mission and strategic plan, serving on appropriate campus and professional committees.
- Maintains and strengthens collaborative efforts with regional and statewide library agencies. Ensures the integration of library services, policies, and resources with SUNY initiatives.
- Provides oversight for the integration of library services with information technologies and learning initiatives in support of the College’s academic programs.
- Conducts regular assessments of the Library’s learning environments.
- Manages collection development based on a unified vision of print and digital resources.
- Keeps abreast of trends in academic libraries and educational technologies.
- Other responsibilities as delegated by the Vice President, Educational Technology Services.
- Master’s degree in library/information science from an ALA accredited program.
- A minimum of five years of experience in library administration supplemented by supervisory experience.
- Demonstrated knowledge of trends and practices in emerging technologies and information literacy.
- Demonstrated experience and strength in policy development, planning, budget development, and personnel management.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing, and the ability to facilitate communication within the library and with key constituencies.
- Evidence of ability to maintain effective and collegial working relations with library staff, students, faculty, and administration.
- Demonstrated commitment to promoting diversity, enhancing student success, and advancing customer service.
- Experience in delivering public service in an academic library.
- Demonstrated experience working with multiple facets of an integrated library system and an Enterprise Resource Planning (ERP) system, e.g., Banner.
- Professional experience in a community college setting.
- Experience with library data collection and analysis procedures.
- Working knowledge of basic desktop applications (MS Office suite), technology hardware and related peripherals.