STARS Requisition number 19999BR
Department Ecology/Evolutionary Bio
University Job Title Programmer Analyst 3
Bargaining Unit None
Job Category Managerial & Professional
Type of Employment Full Time
Duration Type Fixed
If Fixed Duration, Period 3 years from date of hire
If Fixed Duration, is continuation possible? Yes
Salary Grade 25
Work Location Central Campus
Worksite Address 165 Prospect St.
Work Week Standard - 37.5 hrs (M-F, 8:30-5:00)
Position Focus: Participate in ongoing collaborative projects in highly specialized geospatial analysis, biodiversity science and conservation research (e.g. Map of Life, www.mappinglife.org  ). This work is in partnership with scientists and biodiversity informaticians at CU Boulder, UC Berkeley and Senckenberg, Frankfurt.
Department URL Address: Click here for more information 
1. Provides technical expertise in developing programs or systems of moderate to large size.
2. Responsible for the development and delivery of applications, programs, and systems. Evaluates departmental business and administrative processes and needs. Identify, define, and analyzes system requirements to meet the expectations of stakeholders and intended end users needs, scheduled timeline, and budgetary targets.
3. Defines and designs new systems and applications. Provides business solutions. Performs complex problem solving.
4. Provides technical guidance and recommendations for projects which includes architectural design, technology selection and methodologies to apply. Responsible for the creation, definition, requirements, communication and management of project plans. Plans billable time and project implementation costs.
5. Provides ongoing maintenance and support for applications and systems.
6. Drives the development of systems documentation. Develops formal design proposals and cost and time estimates for new systems. Trains and mentors technical staff. Provides training to end users.
7. Recommends and creates new policy.
8. Applies and keeps current with existing and emerging technologies and methodologies. Provides ongoing input to the establishment of programming standards, procedures, and methodologies.
9. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Five years of related experience in analysis and programming of medium to large-scale systems or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Excellent programming skills and a strong interest in learning and developing new approaches to support the databasing, analysis and web-delivery of spatial, environmental and biodiversity data and tools.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Well developed analytical and problem solving skills.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Ability to communicate effectively through both oral and written expression.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Excellent skills for working in and leading a distributed and international team of developers.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Excellent planning and organizational skills.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: 1. Strong background in Python, postgreSQL, PostGIS, App Engine, Linux/Unix.
2. Specialized knowledge in open source geospatial software tools.
Weekend Hours Required? Occasional
Evening Hours Required? Occasional
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html  for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.