STARS Requisition number 19937BR
University Job Title Research Associate 1, MS
Bargaining Unit None
Job Category Managerial & Professional
Type of Employment Full Time
Duration Type Regular
Salary Grade 22
Work Location Medical School Campus
Worksite Address SHM
Work Week Standard (M-F equal number of hours per day)
Position Focus: Working with an Associate Research Scientist and independently,will be responsible for the daily operation of a new resource to perform short hairpin RNA interference-based screening in mammalian cells and related data analysis for research projects.
Department URL Address: Click here for more information 
1. Recommends the design and implementation of procedures and protocols under the direction of a higher-level authority.
2. Investigates, analyzes, and reaches preliminary scientific conclusions related to research planning
3. Ensures data results are compiled, analyzed, and presented properly.
4. Analyzes, develops and interprets scientific results. Maintains clear documentation of results. Prepares scientific reports and papers for research proposals and published reports.
5. Performs independent research and laboratory techniques and participates in experimental research planning.
6. Interacts with internal contacts including the PI, research assistants, graduate students, Radiation Safety and Biological Safety officers, and Animal Care personnel to discuss and evaluate research results and to ensure the smooth and safe operation of the laboratory.
7. Interacts with external contacts such as researchers at other institutions, staff at biotechnology and reagents companies to consult on research methods and to keep abreast of product information and developments.
8. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Master's Degree in a scientific discipline and one year experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Demonstrated ability to work in highly technical molecular biology environment and skilled in DNA preparation as well as mammalian cell culture.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Well developed written and oral communication skills for contribution to publications, analysis and reporting, and collaboration with numerous scientific colleagues.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Ability to perform in a high tech, microbiology and cell biology environment demonstrating familiarity with related equipment and software.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Demonstrated ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Demonstrated ability to analyze data and maintain detailed records of experiments.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: Experience with lentiviral expression systems, shRNA knockdown methods, and/or automated liquid handling systems.
Weekend Hours Required? No
Evening Hours Required? No
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html  for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.