STARS Requisition number 19399BR
Department Env Health & Safety
University Job Title Senior Software Engineer, Generalist
Bargaining Unit None
Job Category Managerial & Professional
Type of Employment Full Time
Duration Type Regular
Salary Grade P6
Work Location Central Campus
Worksite Address 135 Coll
Work Week Standard - 37.5 hrs (M-F, 8:30-5:00)
Position Focus: Be a hands-on technical lead for a small development group within the Yale University Environmental Health and Safety Office (EHS), a department with a wide range of system requirements. Works in partnership with both internal and external developers to complete the conversion of a number of Access applications to a single integrated enterprise suite implemented with C#, SQL Server and ASP.Net, (and support it once done). Responsible for gathering and analyzing department requirements, designing workable solutions, prioritizing and managing implementation. Acts as liaison with other business partners and service vendors in regards to EHS IT activities. Provides EHS senior management with guidance to make decisions about departmental information systems. Continues to support, develop, and maintain a small number of minor standalone Access desktop databases.
Department URL Address: Click here for more information 
1. Develops, maintains, and supports an enterprise level modular database system and web applications to authorize, track and report on University, State, and Federally regulated activities pertaining to maintaining a healthy and safe environment for students, employees and the larger community within which the university operates.
2. Acts as technical lead for developers and solution providers outside of the department including other university departments and external vendors.
3. Provides technical leadership with regard to the department's strategic and tactical planning. Formulate long-term goals and priorities with regard to capabilities, content and features. Provides a visionary perspective on technologies and priorities. Advises the department Director with regard to timelines, resources and alternatives or options to meet department objectives.
4. Develops and maintains a layered enterprise sized modular .NET\C# solution. Layers: a UI of Windows and Web Forms (ASP), middle layers of smart business objects with integrated DAL, and a backend database in SQL Server.
5. Participates in the planning and execution of the migration from Access database applications to the new enterprise system, supports and provides maintenance of existing Access databases, and in the implementation and support of any other standalone or third party systems as needed.
6. Interviews and determines both upper management and user needs and requirements. Analyzes and clarifies requirements, as well as time and budget constraints.
7. Maps overall department system requirements into project outlines, and then tracks project status, with regular reporting to the department Director and Lead Administrator about all IS projects.
8. Provides project status updates and EHS information system presentations to university upper-level management and committees. Provide leadership and initiative for resolution of issues.
9. Ensures full system lifecycle quality assurance for all department projects, including design, coding, testing, documentation, and end-user training.
10. Performs system analysis and design, including the development of data flows, system specifications, and other system documentation.
11. Provides application support, user documentation, and training to users.
12. Designs, implements and maintains ETL (extract, transform, loading) processes from internal and external University's data sources. Identifies root causes of ETL performance issues or failures. Ensures accuracy and integrity of data through analysis and coding. Interfaces with internal and external owners of data sources for updates or enhancement.
13. Assists with administration of the department SQL Server 2008 servers, SharePoint 2010 sites, and related system administrative tasks.
14. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience
Bachelor's Degree in a relevant technical field and ten years of related technical experience or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Required Skill/Ability 1: Programming with Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 or 2010, C# 2.0 or greater, Microsoft SQL Server 2008, T-SQL, SSIS, and Microsoft Access/VBA 2007. Web application development in ASP.Net 2.0 or later. Working with complex database designs. Performing full system software lifecycle.
Required Skill/Ability 2: Administration of SQL Server 2008 and Microsoft SharePoint 2010 applications. IIS 7.0 or greater server administration. Windows Server 2003 or greater system administration. Excellent knowledge and experience with current best software practices for database and system development.
Required Skill/Ability 3: Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills. Excellent problem resolution skills. Strong planning and organizational skills. Ability to work independently and as part of a team. Exemplary professional attitude and demonstrated skill for customer service and support.
Required Skill/Ability 4: Extremely competent and comfortable with the design of large databases, and tiered/modular systems. Experience with code generation, and management of coding standards and quality.
Required Skill/Ability 5: Ability to maintain professional code of ethics regarding confidentiality of information and protecting rights of end-users and owners of data.
Preferred Education, Experience and Skills: At least ten plus years of progressively more complex experience in developing and supporting large scale business database systems. Superb knowledge of OOP, software patterns, use of frameworks, and framework services. Good experience with successfully leading full system software lifecycles for multiple concurrent projects, while also directly contributing to the coding effort.
Weekend Hours Required? No
Evening Hours Required? No
Drug Screen No
Health Screening No
Background Check Requirements All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html  for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Posting Disclaimer The intent of this job description is to provide a representative summary of the essential functions that will be required of the position and should not be construed as a declaration of specific duties and responsibilities of the particular position. Employees will be assigned specific job-related duties through their hiring departments.
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.