Salary: $31,776 - $37,392
Title: Laboratory Assistant II
Category: Science and Research
Date Posted: 11/21/2012
Final Filing Date: open until filled
UC Riverside Entomology Department is seeking a Laboratory Assistant II to support a graduate student researcher in maintaining mite colonies for avocado research and perform one or more standard repetitive laboratory and/or field experimental procedures that require technical scientific knowledge, following all safety standards in a teaching or research laboratory. UCR is the premier research University in Inland Southern California and we are seeking the best to join us. The department of Entomology at UC Riverside has one of the most modern research facilities worldwide. UCR gives every employee the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel. The department administrative staff is committed to Service Excellence, Honesty, Integrity and Optimal work environment. Within this exciting environment, rich with growth opportunities, you will perform duties to include mite rearing and field sample collections. This position requires driving so one will need to have a valid California Driver's License and will be added to the University DMV pull list for validation. This position is supported by Grants and Contracts so the expected duration of this position is six (6) months with the possibility of continued employment based on funding. The selected candidate will need to be flexible in their work schedule to accommodate those days that require more involvement when it comes to colony maintenance. Otherwise the expected work schedule is 4 to 5 hours per day Monday through Friday. During field collections this position requires traveling outside of normal working hours.
1) Two (2) years College level coursework in the natural science and one (1) year of laboratory experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience; and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
2) Six (6) months demonstrated skill in confidently identifying and collecting plant and arthropod samples, including recognition of mite life stages and general mite groups (predatory vs. plant feeding mites).
3) Six (6) months demonstrated experience using standard laboratory equipment, including video recording equipment.
4) Demonstrated experience keeping detailed and accurate records of field site details, laboratory and sample processing techniques, and experiment data for data entry.
5) Demonstrated proficient interpersonal and communication skills necessary to interact with post-doctoral researchers, graduate researchers, undergraduate research assistants, growers, university employees, etc.
6) Demonstrated knowledge and application of laboratory safety procedures and regulations.
7) Proficient computer skills with Microsoft office, Excel and Movie Maker software.
8) Valid driver's license and ability to operate a university vehicle.
9) Must have ability to operate a GPS unit (Global Positioning System)
1) Bachelor's degree in Entomology/Acarology.
2) Six (6) to Twelve (12) months fieldwork experience.
3) One (1) to six (6) months experience with taxonomic keys.
4) Demonstrated ability to work independently and as part of a team.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
At UC Riverside we celebrate diversity and are proud of our #4 ranking among the nation for most diverse universities (US News and World Report 2011). Become part of a place that fosters success for all its constituents, students, faculty, and staff, and where work/life balance and campus culture are integral to our way of life.
UCR is ranked 41st among top public universities (US News and World Report 2011) and is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer, with a commitment to workforce diversity.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview