Instructor, Biological Sciences – Marine Science
Job Code: 3-O-14
Opening Date/Time: Fri. 12/14/12 12:00 AM Pacific Time
Closing Date/Time: Tue. 02/12/13 11:59 PM Pacific Time
Salary: $46,037.00 - $109,761.00 Annually
Job Type: Full Time Faculty
Location: Orange Coast College, California
Department: Orange Coast College
FLSA: Non-exempt position, eligible for overtime compensation.
1. Instruct courses in Oceanography, Marine Biology, and Coastal Oceanography including their associated laboratories. Curriculum responsibilities may include any of the marine science and related courses taught at the community college level.
2. Participate in curriculum development, implementation, and evaluation.
3. Fulfill the professional responsibilities of a full-time faculty member, including, but not limited to the following: teach all scheduled classes unless excused under provisions of Board policy; follow departments' course outlines, keep accurate records of student enrollment, attendance, and progress; post and maintain scheduled office hours, participate in departmental meetings and college and/or district-wide activities and committees as assigned.
4. Assignment may include day and evening classes.
5. Oversee the Orange Coast College Public Marine Aquarium.
1. Must meet one of the following qualifications under (a) through (d):
a.Possess the California Community College Teaching Credential for this subject area.
b. Possess a Master's degree from an accredited institution in any biological science.
c. Possess a Bachelor's degree in any biological science AND a Master's degree in Biochemistry, Biophysics, or Marine Science from an accredited institution.
d. Or, possess a combination of education and experience that is at least the equivalent to the above. Candidates making an application on the basis of equivalency must submit an Application for Equivalency in addition to all other required materials.
2. Sensitivity to and understanding of the diverse academic, socioeconomic, cultural, disability, and ethnic backgrounds of community college students.
1. Successful experience teaching courses in Oceanography, Marine Biology, Coastal Oceanography, Aquarium Science, Marine Mammals, and their associated laboratories.
2. Industry experience and/or additional course work in upper level Oceanography, and Marine Biology.
3. Participation in conferences or workshops or other demonstrable means such as experience integrating modern educational technologies into the marine science curricula indicating familiarity with current theories and methodologies for teaching marine science.
4. The ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing.
5. The ability to adjust teaching strategies to differing class sizes (30 to 200+ students).
6. Successful teaching experience working with diverse student populations.
7. Other qualifications such as publications, and activities in professional organizations.
Conditions of Employment:
Contract (tenure track), full-time, two-semesters per year, 175 days, Fall Semester - August 2013
Salary Range: Full-time, two-semester position with a maximum starting range of $46,037.00 - $78,490.00 is offered, based on the 2012-2013 Salary Schedule of $46,037.00 to $109,761.00. In addition, an annual stipend of $2,781.00 is offered for possession of an earned doctorate from an accredited institution.
Pay Philosophy: Starting salaries for academic positions are based on a combination of education and experience. Initial placement is within the starting salary range. Further advancements are based on longevity and professional development. An additional annual stipend is offered for possession of an earned doctorate from an accredited institution.
APPLICATION PROCEDURES: Applications must be received no later than the posted closing date. There are NO EXCEPTIONS.
Electronic applications may be completed by visiting www.cccd.edu/employment. 
Once you have completed an electronic application, you may apply to open positions within the Coast Community College District by submitting the application and all other required materials. Required materials differ for each open position and must be complete when submitted for a specific posting. Instructions for completing applications and applying to posted positions are available online or by calling Applicant Processing at (714) 438-4714.
All application materials become the property of the Coast Community College District and will NOT be copied or returned. Information for TDD users is available by calling (714) 438-4755.
Application Requirements: To be considered for employment you must submit a complete application packet. A complete application packet includes: A Full-time Faculty Application. Application for Equivalency, if applicable. A cover letter, (not to exceed 3 pages) addressing how you meet both the minimum and desirable qualifications. A current resume, (not to exceed 10 pages) consisting of: professional experience, educational background, teaching experience (list specific courses), publications, list of five (5) references, three (3) of which should include recent supervisors, instructors, or others familiar with your abilities related to this position, and other pertinent information. A statement discussing the challenges of teaching Marine Science at the community college level.
A copy of degrees and credentials (undergraduate and graduate).
NOTE: Applicants selected for an interview will be asked to perform a teaching demonstration and to bring three (3) letters of recommendation. Candidates selected for an interview will also be required to provide "unofficial" transcripts of ALL undergraduate and graduate course work, with the degrees awarded highlighted on the transcripts. Official transcripts or certified copies are NOT required at this time. PLEASE DO NOT SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION.
To ensure consistency and fairness to all applicants, please do not submit materials in addition to those requested. Additional materials will not be considered or returned. Be sure to complete all questions and sections of the application. For questions which may not apply, indicate "n/a" (not applicable). If you do not know an answer, please indicate so, but do not leave any space blank.
All applications will be screened under a process of utmost confidentiality by a committee of representatives from the college community (reference Board Policy 050-1-1). Please note: Possession of the minimum qualifications does not ensure an interview.
Any documents that you are unable to attach can be faxed to (714) 782-6065. Faxes must clearly indicate the job you are applying to and your name.
Disability Accommodations: If you require accommodations in the Application or Examination Process, please notify Human Resources by calling (714) 438-4714 OR (714) 438-4713.
PHYSICAL DEMANDS AND WORK ENVIRONMENT
• The physical demands are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job.
• The work environment characteristics are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job.
• Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• A detailed list of physical demands and work environment is on file and will be provided upon request.
For more information and to apply visit: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/cccd/default.cfm 
Coast Community College District is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer.