The University of Kentucky invites applications and nominations for the position of Provost.
The University of Kentucky invites applications and nominations for the position of Provost. A land-grant institution located in the beautiful Bluegrass region of central Kentucky, the University is the flagship public research institution within the higher education system of the state. The University consists of 16 academic and professional colleges. A faculty of 2,291 serves the student body of more than 28,000 representing every state in the nation and over 110 countries. During FY 2011 the UK faculty received a total of more than $299.1 million in extramural grants and contracts. Additional information is available at www.uky.edu . The University of Kentucky is an equal opportunity university. We encourage applications for Provost from women, minorities, and all interested and qualified people.
Lexington, Kentucky, with a population estimated at more than 295,000 with a larger metro area of more than 550,000, is home to numerous businesses in the computer industry, health care services, auto manufacturing, and banking, management, and investment firms. It is the horse capital of the world. Its historic downtown and horse farms, excellent county-wide public school system, convenient airport, and growing downtown cultural activities contribute to its appeal. It is approximately 70 miles from Cincinnati and Louisville, thus creating the "Golden Triangle."
Reporting directly to the President, who started his service in July 2011, the Provost administers all aspects of the University’s academic mission as it pursues its goal of advancing education, research and service. The Provost works closely with the Vice President for Research, the Executive Vice President for Finance and Administration, and Executive Vice President for Health Affairs in setting academic, research, and support priorities. The University of Kentucky is one of only a handful of universities with colleges of fine arts, pharmacy, medicine, law, agriculture, and engineering on one contiguous campus. The UK Chandler Medical Center is considered one of the nation’s leading academic medical centers. The 569-bed UK Hospital and UK Children’s Hospital are supported by more than 700 faculty physicians and dentists, 500 resident physicians, and a staff of nearly 4,000 health professionals.
Leading candidates will demonstrate:
• An established record of academic achievement qualifying the candidate for appointment as a tenured faculty member;
• Extensive administrative experience, including comprehensive understanding and leadership of financial management of an academic enterprise;
• Open, collaborative leadership;
• Experience in setting an academic agenda and in leading within a complex and diverse university;
• Broad understanding of current issues in higher education;
• Commitment to standards of intellectual and academic excellence;
• The highest standards of ethical decision-making;
• Commitment to student success;
• Skills in communicating with faculty, students, and staff members and their organizations;
• Ability to work with community leaders, local, state and national officials, and alumni; and
• Commitment to diversity and inclusion as a core value.
The position will begin July 1, 2013. Candidate review will begin in January 2013, and the search will continue until the position is filled. To ensure full consideration application materials should be submitted without delay. Confidential inquiries, nominations, and applications should be directed to Lucy Leske, Brian Bloomfield, and Daniel M. Fogel, Ph.D., the Witt/Kieffer consultants assisting the University of Kentucky with this search, at UKProvost@wittkieffer.com . Applications should include a letter explaining interest and relevant experience and a current CV. All communications will be held in confidence.