Montclair State is New Jersey's second largest university. It offers the advantages of a large university - a broad undergraduate curriculum with a global focus, a wide variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level, and a diverse faculty and student body - combined with a small college's attention to students.
Posting Date December 18, 2012
Vacancy # V-746
Department Information Technology/Administration
Division Information Technology
Reporting to the Director of Technology Training and Integration (TTI), the Online Learning Support Specialist provides technology support and training for online students, faculty, and staff with the University learning management system, emerging instructional and social media technologies, multimedia applications, mobile technologies, etc , via telephone, email and walk-in services. Position requires capability and willingness to work both independently and collaboratively with other professionals and academic units in a highly impact and energetic environment. The primary focus for this position is to assist students with using online technologies, tools and resources to enhance their online academic experience.
The Online Learning Support Specialist must possess excellent interpersonal skills, own exceptional problem solving and troubleshooting competences, and demonstrate abilities to work in a fast paced environment as well as foster a team environment dedicated to outstanding user support service. The incumbent will collaborate with technology trainers, instructional designers, and helpdesk staff with providing training for online students, faculty and staff.
Qualifications & Requirements
• Bachelor's degree or a suitable combination of education, training and experience resulting in the requisite skills
• 2-4 years’ experience in direct technology support; prior higher education experience preferred
• Proficiency in the end-user support of both Proprietary and Open Source Learning Management Systems such as Blackboard, Moodle, Canvas, etc.
• Strong working knowledge of, but not limited to, MS Suite, web browsers, web 2.0 technologies, online office/conferencing tool (such as Bb Collaborate, Wimba Voice, Skype), emails, mobile applications, etc.
• Demonstrated knowledge in troubleshooting and supporting both PC and Mac operating systems
• Knowledge and demonstrated experience using Active Directory, Remote Management Tools and a Ticket Tracking System
• Exceptional problem solving and trouble shooting skills
Anticipated Start Date Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until position is filled
Salary Range Commensurate with ability and experience
Apply By OPEN
Send cover letter and resume to
(include vacancy # if above)
Montclair State University
Montclair, NJ 07043
Organizational Marketing Statement:
With a proud history and a vibrant future, Montclair State University is one of New Jersey's most diverse and dynamic institutions of higher education. Located 14 miles west of New York City on a 246-acre campus which boasts modern, state-of-the-art facilities complemented by green spaces, public plazas, and early twentieth-century architecture, the University offers a comprehensive undergraduate curriculum with a global focus; a broad variety of superior graduate programs through the doctoral level; and a talented and diverse faculty and student body.The University's six colleges and schools offer more than 300 undergraduate and graduate majors, minors, concentrations, and certificate programs, and with more than 120 student organizations and 17 varsity sports for men and women, Montclair State offers students the total college experience.
Montclair State University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action institution with a strong commitment to diversity. Additional information can be found on the MSU website at www.montclair.edu .
AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION INSTITUTION