Posting Description: The Barbara Davis Center for Childhood Diabetes at the University of Colorado at Denver is a multi-disciplinary diabetes center affiliated with The Children's Hospital as well as the University of Colorado, School of Medicine. The patient population is primarily children with type 1 diabetes, but also includes youth with type 2 diabetes. In addition to the clinical program, the Barbara Davis Center has a large clinical research program allowing many ongoing educational opportunities. This Instructor position is an at-will faculty appointment. This position will provide diabetes care to newly diagnosed and established children who have Type 1 or 2 diabetes. This is a part-time (16 hours/week) for a Registered Dietician in the Pediatric Clinic. The dietitian will participate in direct patient care during clinic hours and assist in new and ongoing diabetes related research studies.
- Meets with patients to assess individual histories, develop care plans to meet diabetes nutrition/exercise needs and implements these plans during patient counseling session.
- Counsels and educates pediatric patients and their families on Medical Nutrition Therapy for type 1 and 2 diabetes as well as various pediatric nutrition issues including weight control and celiac disease.
- Documents patient counseling session including: diet history, nutrition/exercise topics addressed, goals achieved, further goals developed as well as plans for follow-up visits.
- Develops and revises education materials for nutrition/exercise management.
- Assists in ongoing and new clinical research studies.
- Prepares and presents educational sessions for health professionals, patients and community at large. Serve s as a community resource for nutrition/exercise information on diabetes related issues.
- Serves as a mentor for nutrition interns.
- Teaches other health professionals through observation of the clinic's team management approach to diabetes care and the clinic's nutrition approach in diabetes management.
- Interprets nutrition and exercise information to publish articles for newsletters and journals.
- Analyzes and evaluates recent nutrition diabetes research articles to develop and implement new approaches to nutrition management of Type 1 and 2 diabetes and celiac disease.
- Collaborates with diabetes team members in order to establish individualized care plans for patients.
Required Education/Experience/Skills (Minimum Qualifications): This position requires a minimum of a bachelor's degree in Nutrition/Dietetics or related field and Registered Dietitian is required.
Desired Qualifications: Priority will be given to someone who is a Certified Diabetes Educator with experience in childhood diabetes. A combination of previous clinical and research experience, diverse talents and excellent interpersonal and communication skills are required.
Deadline to Apply: Open Until Filled