Job ID: 2011-30793
# Positions: 1
Posted Date: 9/21/2012
Division: DeVry University
Employment Type: Temporary Part-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
About DeVry Inc.:
About DeVry Inc.
DeVry's purpose is to empower its students to achieve their educational and career goals. DeVry (NYSE: DV, member S&P 500 Index) is a global provider of educational services. Recently named an official education provider to Team USA by the U.S. Olympic Committee, DeVry is the parent organization of Advanced Academics, American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, Becker Professional Education, Carrington College, Carrington College California, Chamberlain College of Nursing, DeVry Brasil, DeVry University, and Ross University Schools of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine. These institutions offer a wide array of programs in business, healthcare and technology. DeVry’s institutions serve students in secondary through postsecondary education and professionals in accounting and finance. For more information, please call 630.353.3800 or visit http://www.devryinc.com .
We are interested in developing long-term relationships with superior professors who have high professional standards, excellent communication skills, enthusiasm and a commitment to providing the finest practitioner-focused education. We are seeking primarily Industry Professionals to share their knowledge and experience with undergraduate and graduate students in a variety of fields. Courses meet from one to four times a week for eight weeks. The face-to-face interaction is blended with technology (such as online discussions and online assignments) for an enhanced learning environment. Commitment is on a course by course basis.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develops strategies to teach the course content for the entire term including instructional objectives, assignments, textbooks, weight of grades and delivery methods.
- Develops and provides to students an approved DeVry University syllabus that follows a template established by the local campus, which includes terminal course objectives.
- Organizes, prepares and regularly revises/updates all course materials.
- Uses appropriate technological options for online technologies and appropriate course related software, including websites, e-mail and online discussions for preparing the course and making it accessible to students.
- Models exceptional verbal and written communication.
- Organizes and sequences topics in a logical progression and paces the delivery to meet the needs of the class.
- Utilizes educational technology (such as PowerPoint, remote access to syllabi and grades, classroom projection systems, online courses or course components with interactive capabilities) to enhance learning.
- Establishes positive classroom relationships with students by being actively engaged in the classroom and lab. Provides opportunities for in-class discussions and questions and displays enthusiasm about the students, the subject matter, and the learning process.
- Incorporates higher-level learning (i.e. application, analysis, synthesis and evaluation) by giving students opportunities to develop information literacy and problem-solving skills, and by connecting their current study to lab assignments and previous/future study in the related disciplines.
- Sets clear expectations for the course by publishing assignment/exam dates and the weight distribution of various evaluation categories.
- Ensures that the content and level of material included on exams has been adequately covered in class.
- Designs assignments and tests to conform to the objectives of the Curriculum Guide.
- Strives for consistency and fairness in preparation and grading of exams and provides timely feedback to students.
- Treats all DeVry employees and students with respect and fairness, impartial to race, sex, age, disability, religion, sexual orientation or ethnic origin.
- Treats students’ academic needs seriously by being accessible for academic consultation before or after class, via phone or e-mail.
- Creates an interactive classroom environment.
- Creates an atmosphere of mutual respect in the classroom by avoiding inappropriate comments or jokes that refer to any individual, social group, the university, company, or competitor.
- Adheres to University policies regarding disciplinary problems, including plagiarism or cheating.
- Abides by Company and University policies.
- Performs related duties as assigned.
- Master’s degree required from a regionally accredited university in the discipline Biomedical Engineering, Bioengineering, Electrical Engineering or Mechanical Engineering with emphasis on medical instrumentation or
- Master’s degree in a related area of the discipline and any 18 hours of Master’s coursework in the area of the discipline
- Preferred Ph.D in Biomedical Engineering or Bioengineering degree
- Three to five years of industry experience in the course subject matter
- Prefer previous teaching experience or a desire to teach students at the undergraduate level
- Proficient in one or more of the following languages; LabVIEW, C, C++
- Familiarity or proficiency with Multisim, and Matlab
- Utilize Microsoft software suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Utilize Course Management System for remote access to syllabi and grades, classroom projection systems, course related software, website content, online courses or course components with interactive capabilities) to enhance learning.
- Knowledge of electronics, AC & DC systems, op amps, and biomedical signal conditioning
- Preferred knowledge and use of biosignal processing, signals and systems, data acquisition, automation and control systems.
- Operating Systems experience; Windows
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. Thank you for applying for this outstanding opportunity today.