Join the Pack! A community with nearly 8,000 faculty and staff, and 30,000 students. NC State is one of the largest employers in North Carolina, offering a large range of career opportunities. Visit us at www.ncsu.edu/hr/job_applicants/reasons .
Position Number: 00062740
Primary Function of Organizational Unit:
The Department of Molecular Biomedical Sciences is one of three departments at the College of Veterinary Medicine (CVM)and consists of 31 faculty who have a diversity of research and teaching interests and includes faculty in the clinical disciplines of Anesthesia, Radiology, Clinical Nutrition and Clinical Pharmacology. More than 20,000 patients are diagnosed and treated annually by CVM clinicians and the Veterinary Health Complex (VHC)at NC State University is a major referral center for veterinarians from throughout the Southeast.
The patient case load also allows for instruction and the opportunity for clinical trials that advance animal health and well-being. The Veterinary Health Complex is composed of the 110,000-square-foot, state-of-the-art Randall B. Terry, Jr. Companion animal Veterinary Medical Center, the Equine and Farm Animal Veterinary Center and the Veterinary Health and Wellness Center and Satellite and Field Veterinary Services. Additionally, state-of-the-art research facilities are located in the CVM Research building (100,000 square feet) which opened in 2005 and in the Main CVM Administrative building.
The Comparative Biomedical Sciences graduate program in CVM consists of several different “tracks”, allowing students to focus their research in the areas of cell biology, infectious diseases, pharmacology, pathology and population medicine. Other graduate programs with which department faculty are affiliated at NCSU include programs in immunology, physiology, functional genomics, microbiology, toxicology and genetics.
Essential Job Duties:
The responsibilities of the this faculty position include:
1) Undertake primary responsibility for clinical anesthesia service within the VTH at 60% effort. This involves patient assessment and care; and supervision of technicians, house officers, and fourth year veterinary medical students during delivery of anesthesia care to client-owned patients of the VHC.
2) Provide professional consultation to other services of the CVM-VHC, and to the professional community at large. This involves personal consultation and receiving telephone requests.
3) Supervise and provide professional support to house officers throughout their training program. This involves providing quality control of professional service, and clinical and academic instruction via rounds and reading group participation.
4) Provide professional training to students enrolled in the CVM professional curriculum. This involves clinical activity in the VHC, rounds, teaching laboratory exercises, and didactic instruction. 5) Contribute to the knowledge base of the professional discipline through collaboration with other clinical specialists or basic scientists; or through independent research.
6) Participate in CVM and/or VHC committee activities, which are inherent in fulfilling their organizational missions.
Applicants must hold a DVM or equivalent degree; have completed an approved ACVA residency, and be eligible for, or already involved in, the ACVA certification process.
Departmental Required Skills:
Must be able to lift up to 60 pounds.
Preferred Experience, Skills, Training/Education:
Necessary Licenses or Certifications:
Must be eligible for, or already involved in, the ACVA certification process
AA/EOE. In addition, NC State welcomes all persons without regard to sexual orientation or genetic information. Persons with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process please call (919) 515-3148. Final candidates are subject to criminal & sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require credit or motor vehicle checks. If highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree verified at www.wes.org . Degree must be obtained prior to start date.
NC State University participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.