The City University of New York (CUNY) is the nation's leading urban public university serving more than 480,000 students in a wide range of educational programs at 24 colleges and institutions in New York City.
Job ID: 7197
The Vice President is responsible for one or more major College divisions and serves as a member of the President's Cabinet. He/she incorporates innovative practices into plans and strategies and collaborates with other College and University executives, and outside organizations as needed, to develop appropriate policy and acquire resources. He/she is a dynamic leader of an executive team responsible for personnel, budget, operations, and communications.
CAMPUS SPECIFIC INFORMATION
Reporting to the President, the Vice President for Communications and Marketing is responsible for developing and executing an integrated external and internal communications program. He or she will ensure that The City College's communications with all audiences are aligned with the institutional mission, vision, and strategy and will work toward strengthening the positive image of the College held by internal and external audiences. The Vice President will oversee the Office of Communications & Public Relations to assure a comprehensive process to strengthen the College's public image. He or she will provide politically sensitive advice to the President and senior staff on a variety of communications issues, and communicate information to the College constituencies.
Specific responsibilities include:
- Develop and implement a strategic plan for media and publications to promote a positive public image of the College and to increase media coverage of the College's goals and current achievements.
- Develop a coordinating plan for official campus and related publications and other media. The purpose of this plan is to assure that all college communications convey a visually compelling and consistent look for the College, and are part of a comprehensive, cohesive and coherent initiative to communicate the College's vision and mission.
- Collaborate with the Director of Admissions to plan publications and advertising that will be used to attract prospective students.
- Collaborate with the Office of Development and Institutional Advancement to develop publications, advertising, and other media initiatives that will be useful in the College's capital campaign fund-raising.
- Provide support for the President's Advisory Council to promote the College's public image.
This position is in CUNY's Executive Compensation Plan. All executive positions require a minimum of a Bachelor's degree and eight years' related experience. Additional qualifications are defined below by the College.
The candidate for this senior-level position should have a minimum of a bachelor's degree and ten years of progressively responsible experience in communications, public relations, advertising or marketing, including strategic planning, budget and staff supervision. The candidate should have academic experience and be experienced in story placement and in developing advertising campaigns for major news media and must have publications experience, including editing and working with graphic designers. The candidate should have the ability to use print and electronic media--including television, radio, video, and the Internet--effectively as a means of conveying the College's mission and image. It is important that the successful candidate have experience with New York political issues, have strong interpersonal skills and a record of success in fostering collaboration.
Commensurate with qualifications and experience.
CUNY offers a comprehensive benefits package to employees and eligible dependents based on job title and classification. Employees are also offered pension and Tax-Deferred Savings Plans. Part-time employees must meet a weekly or semester work hour criteria to be eligible for health benefits. Health benefits are also extended to retirees who meet the eligibility criteria.
HOW TO APPLY
If you are viewing this job posting in CUNYFirst, please click on "Apply Now" on the bottom of this page and follow the instructions.
If you are viewing this job posting externally, please apply as follows:
- Go to www.cuny.edu  and click on "Employment"
- Click "Search job listings"
- Click on "More search options"
- Search by Job Opening ID number
- Click on the "Apply Now" button and follow the instructions.
To be considered for this position, you must include a Curriculum Vitae (CV).
PLEASE NOTE THAT YOU MUST UPLOAD YOUR CURRICULUM VITAE, AS ONE DOCUMENT IN ANY OF THE FOLLOWING FORMATS: doc, .docx, .pdf, .rtf, or text format.
Open until filled with review beginning 01/02/2013.
JOB SEARCH CATEGORY
CUNY Job Posting: Executive
EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY
We are committed to enhancing our diverse academic community by actively encouraging people with disabilities, minorities, veterans, and women to apply. We take pride in our pluralistic community and continue to seek excellence through diversity and inclusion. EO/AA Employer.