Requisition Number: 19634BR
Department: Yale College
University Job Title: Student Services Officer 3, Study Abroad
Posting Position Title: Associate Director, Study Abroad
Bargaining Unit: None
Job Category: Managerial & Professional
Type of Employment: Full Time
Duration Type: Regular
Work Week: Standard - 37.5 hrs (M-F, 8:30-5:00)
Work Location: Central Campus
Worksite Address: 55 Whit
1. Provides expert academic counseling to students on study abroad opportunities (both term time and summer). Determines what impact a proposed course of study abroad will have upon the student's academic requirements for graduation and for major and distribution requirements. Makes final determination of suitability of courses for such credit.
2. Develops and maintains in-depth knowledge of existing study abroad opportunities for Yale students and seek to create new opportunities. Approves both sites and courses for Yale College study abroad.
3. Conducts risk management assessment of potential study abroad sites and negotiates changes to offerings with host institutions. Assesses the quality of instruction and services offered by the host institution. Makes expert judgment, based on these and other factors, on whether an institution and specific courses meet Yale University standards and Yale College requirements.
4. As a member of the study abroad team, generates both short and long term strategies for study abroad. Develops and executes a student recruitment strategy for Yale programs in collaboration with study abroad team, academic departments and residential colleges and with partner institutions.
5. Develops overall program assessment criteria and conducts periodic reviews of all study abroad programs. Analyzes and evaluates results to inform long and short term strategic planning. Recommends and implements programmatic changes as necessary.
6. Counsels students on the processes for seeking funding for study abroad opportunities. Be cognizant of and carefully communicates to students specific cultural imperatives for each study abroad location.
7. Maintains data related to study abroad and assists in the development and dissemination of quantitative and qualitative reports. Assists in all aspects of maintenance and development for Web resources related to study abroad.
8. Develops marketing and promotion materials and designs, develops and leads study abroad information meetings.
9. Maintains a professional presence, stays current in the field, and participate as needed in national study abroad meetings and regional conferences.
10. With Director, supervises the work of senior administrative assistants. Selects, hires, trains, supervises and manages the study abroad peer-advising program for undergraduates in Yale College.
11. Supports Yale University's sustainability strategic plan, the Green Workplace Certification, and local sustainability efforts and operations.
12. May perform other duties as assigned.
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelor's Degree in a related field and four years of experience in advising college students in an academic setting or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
Background Check Requirements: All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of a background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html  for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Weekend Hours Required?: Occasional
Evening Hours Required?: Occasional
Drug Screen: No
Health Screening: No
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.