University of Maryland in Baltimore, Francis King Carey School of Law is seeking a Director in Marketing & Public Relations. The Director reports directly to the Associate Dean for Planning & External Affairs. The Director is responsible for developing, implementing and coordinating a comprehensive communications program (print and electronic) that supports the School of Law's strategic initiatives and enhances its reputation and image with a variety of internal and external audiences, including prospective and current students, alumni donors, legislators, media and other UMB schools.
* Provide leadership to and execute public relations and media relations strategies, programs and communications to increase familiarity with and support for the school or institute’s mission and programs.
* Confer with senior leadership of the school/institute to plan public relations strategy and objectives for the short and mid-term future.
* Build and sustain partnership relationships with other campus offices or departments or with external organizations, corporations or schools to advance the mission and programs of the school/institute.
* Sustains relationships within the University, System and/or state government that allows the incumbent or the Dean/Director to advance the image, programs, and mission of the school/ institute.
* In consultation with the Dean/Director, plan special events that allows others in the University, alumni, or corporate partners to learn more about the mission and successes realized by the school/institute.
* Serve as representative of the Dean/Director to key supporters of the school/institute, particularly outside the University in government, research organizations, or corporations.
* Guide the work of direct report or matrixed staff; provide objectives of communications, campaign or special event being planned or executed.
* Bachelor’s degree in a field relevant to the work of the school or institute. Graduate degree preferred and can substitute in part for required experience.
* Seven years of experience in communications, public relations, and program planning and administration. Work experience in research, program administration or academic administration in field relevant to the work of the school/institute.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
* Knowledge of public relations and media relations
* Excellent communications and consultative skills
* Skill at program planning and management
* Leadership, coaching and team building skills to facilitate relationships that benefit the client/ school.
* Ability to network and support effective partnerships with key groups and constituencies.
The University of Maryland offers a generous benefits package that includes health, vision, prescription and dental insurance options; 22 days of annual leave, 11 paid holidays, 3 personal days, 3 floating holidays, 15 sick days per year; retirement options and tuition remission to most programs in the University System of Maryland for employees and dependents.
Salary commensurate with education and experience
Closing Date: Open until filled
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.
The University of Maryland, Baltimore is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. Minorities, women, veterans and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply.