Title: Assistant Vice Provost
Category: Management and Professional
Department: Undergraduate Education
Date Posted: 07/30/2012
Final Filing Date: open until filled
8AM - 5PM
The University of California, Riverside is seeking candidates for the position of Assistant Vice-Provost for Undergraduate Education. The Assistant Vice-Provost (AVP) will be responsible for three primary activities: (1) leadership and strategic direction of a campus-wide Office of Undergraduate Research, (2) development and management of continuing and new projects to increase undergraduate academic engagement, and (3) analytic support on policy related to increasing undergraduate student retention and opportunity to graduate in four years. This is a full-time career staff position, reports to the Vice Provost for Undergraduate Education, and plays a key role in the Vice Provost's senior management team. Qualifications for this position include an advanced degree, preferably an Ed.D. or Ph.D., and experience as an advocate for and manager in undergraduate education. Successful candidates will have skills in data analysis and statistics, as well as management. They will have demonstrated the capacity to work well with colleagues and students from a variety of backgrounds. They will have an outstanding work ethic and a demonstrated record of effectiveness. Salary will depend on the successful candidate's qualifications and experience. UC Riverside is one of the 10 University of California campuses. The top 12.5 percent of California high school students are eligible for admission to the University of California. Many of UCR's departments rank in the top third of graduate programs, according to the most recent National Research Council rankings. The campus enrolls more than 20,000 students and is one of the most diverse campuses in the country. Riverside is located 60 miles east of Los Angeles and is within a one-hour drive of mountain, beach and desert recreation and resort locations. UC Riverside is an equal opportunity employer. The Office of Undergraduate Education (UE) at UC Riverside was established in 2003. It currently consists of more than 60 FTE employees. In addition to the Office of Undergraduate Research, UE is responsible for the Academic Resources Center, Student Success Programs, Summer Sessions, Summer Study Abroad, the UCDC Program, University Honors, and the University Writing Program. The Search Committee will begin reviewing applications on September 30, 2012. Finalists will be invited for campus interviews in October and November. The successful candidate may begin as early as January 1, 2013. Applicants should submit an application, resume, and names and contact information for at least three references through the campus recruitment site: http://jobs.ucr.edu . Questions about the position should be addressed to Vice Provost Steven Brint (firstname.lastname@example.org ).
1. Masters' degree in Higher Education, Social Sciences, Student Affairs Administration (or related field) or a Bachelor's degree and equivalent professional experience.
2. Demonstrated, progressively responsible experience in developing, implementing, and managing multiple academic programs.
3. Demonstrated recent experience in higher education administration and advanced knowledge of educational policy, recruitment and enrollment issues, and the theories and principles of undergraduate education and student development. Knowledge of literature on student engagement, effective learning environments, and effective pedagogies.
4. Record of evidence-based decision making. Knowledge of statistical and quantitative analysis, research methodology, assessment and evaluation.
5. Knowledge of University structure, policy, procedures and practices. Skill in analyzing issues, university policy and procedures, and other directives to form solid recommendations.
6. Possess management skills and political acumen. Demonstrated experience establishing and accomplishing short and long-term goals and objectives. Skill in working independently and following through on assignments with minimal direction. Ability to maintain confidentiality at all times.
7. Ability to work effectively in a strong service environment that is subject to constantly changing priorities. Skill in working as part of a team and collaborating with colleagues. Skills to identify existing and potential programmatic partnerships and cultivate collaborative relationships with internal and external stakeholders.
8. Strong communication skills. Skill in making oral and written presentations through various media formats to colleagues or subordinates to provide information, instructions or explain subjects of interest. Demonstrated ability to lead and facilitate effective group activities.
9. Proven knowledge and skill in the management and administration of budgets, personnel, and facilities. Demonstrated ability to use resources effectively. Extensive experience in training, supervising and evaluating performance of assigned personnel.
10. Demonstrated ability to utilize computer technology as a tool for communication and analysis.
Doctoral degree in a related field.
Expertise in program evaluation and assement of learning outcomes.
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
At UC Riverside we celebrate diversity and are proud of our #4 ranking among the nation for most diverse universities (US News and World Report 2011). Become part of a place that fosters success for all its constituents, students, faculty, and staff, and where work/life balance and campus culture are integral to our way of life.
UCR is ranked 41st among top public universities (US News and World Report 2011) and is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer, with a commitment to workforce diversity.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview