Title: Senior Licensing Officer
Category: Management and Professional
Department: Research & Economic Develop Of
Date Posted: 11/28/2011
Final Filing Date: open until filled
8AM - 5PM
The Office of Technology Commercialization (OTC) is responsible for the administration of intellectual property developed at the University of California Riverside, and the negotiation of certain agreements with the for-profit sector that relate to campus intellectual property activities. This Senior Licensing Officer will oversee intellectual property administration which includes implementation of the University of California intellectual property policies, the evaluation and marketing of inventions and copyrightable works, the prosecution of patents, and the negotiation and administration of a variety of legal agreements related to the licensing of intellectual property, outreach services, and litigation/disputes management. This position will work closely with the Office of Sponsored Program Administration by assisting with the negotiation of intellectual property award terms and other agreements that may have downstream implications for the management and disposition of the university's intellectual property. The OTC also performs education and outreach to both the campus community and industry sector concerning technology transfer and research activities at the University of California Riverside.
Under the general direction of the Assistant Vice Chancellor for Technology Commercialization (AVCTC), the Senior Licensing Officer will be responsible for managing technology transfer to the industrial sector in the area primarily of engineering, but also to a limited extent in the natural and agricultural sciences as assigned, and will work with other areas as directed by the AVCTC. Activities involved in this process include, but are not limited to, evaluating new disclosures, monitoring patent prosecution, actively and creatively marketing campus disclosures, and negotiating, completing and monitoring licensing agreements. The Senior Licensing Officer is expected to generate and manage licensing revenue and patent cost reimbursements.
UC Riverside conducts research over a wide range of scientific disciplines with new technologies disclosed in such diverse fields as life sciences, agricultural, nano science, energy systems, environmental solutions, computing, chemistry, physics, materials, engineering, and the breeding of new agricultural citrus/cowpea/avocado varieties to name a few.
The University of California, Riverside is one of 10 universities within the prestigious University of California system, and the only UC located in Inland Southern California.
Widely recognized as one of the most ethnically diverse research universities in the nation, UCR's current enrollment is over 19,000 students, with a goal of 21,000 students by 2020. The campus is in the midst of a tremendous growth spurt with new and remodeled facilities coming on-line on a regular basis.
We are located approximately 50 miles east of downtown Los Angeles. UCR is also within easy driving distance of dozens of major cultural and recreational sites, as well as desert, mountain and coastal destinations. Please visit UCR.edu online.
1. A master's degree or J.D. degree, or a Bachelor's degree with 4 years equivalent experience in technology related programs in an academic setting.
2. The individual will be a recognized expert in the physical, engineering sciences areas of technology transfer, with experience working with physical, engineering or agriculture science research areas.
3. Demonstrated strong business analysis skills, strong communications skills including the presentation of materials, either oral or written, in a persuasive and professional manner.
4. Extensive knowledge and experience with the application of laws, regulations, and practices pertaining to the protection and management of intellectual property, university technology transfer, and scientific and/or technical skills in the physical and engineering sciences areas of technology transfer.
5. Strong-customer service oriented individual who will be responsive to the needs of industry affiliates, faculty and students. Demonstrated energy, enthusiasm and willingness to make and exploit new contacts.
6. Extensive experience regarding licensing and/or legal experience in the licensing of patents, software, databases and similar products. Substantial understanding and experience with intellectual property law for both patents and copyrights, negotiations and drafting complex licenses and other contract terms.
7. Demonstrated outstanding verbal and written communications capabilities. Interpersonal skills to work well with senior level internal and external personnel including scientists, lawyers, business executives, government employees, university administrators and others in a diverse office environment
8. Experience in developing strategies for the evaluation, prosecution, marketing and licensing and ongoing management of intellectual property.
9. Experience in the negotiation and administration of material transfer agreements, collaboration agreements, and confidentiality agreements.
10. Demonstrated thorough knowledge of the academic research process and industry research and product development process. Understanding of how innovations arise from academic research and are financed in industry.
11. Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize assignments, and work independently to complete assignments, responding appropriately to competing requirements and changing priorities.
12. Experience in working with both legal firms and UC General Counsel on intellectual property-related issues.
13. Demonstrated experience in resolving intellectual property-related disputes involving inventors, campuses, research sponsors, laboratories and others.
14. Experience in working with researchers and laboratories to assess research directions and identify emerging inventions.
15. Ability to act with complete discretion and maintain strict confidentiality.
16. Excellent oral and written communication skills, including ability to construct persuasive correspondence to convey information in a clear, organized, and concise manner.
17. Demonstrated highly developed independent logic and quantitative reasoning skills for analyzing complex issue and problems in unstructured situations. Ability to
1. Advanced degree in science/engineering, business and/or law highly preferred.
2. Industrial experience, particularly in high tech, engineering or other physical science fields, or experience in a research or academic environment. Project management experience is a plus.
3. Demonstrable record of successful formation of industry/academic partnerships. Experience at attracting venture capital investment in new businesses based on campus technology. Knowledge of equity financials in license agreements.
4. Familiar with management of involvement with community programs, including expanded relationships with corporate sector, economic development and strengthening faculty-industry linkages.
5. Familiarity with UC (or other research intensive institution) intellectual property policies
In the Heart of Inland Southern California, UC Riverside is located on nearly 1,200 acres near Box Springs Mountain in Southern California; the park-like campus provides convenient access to the vibrant and growing Inland region. The campus is a living laboratory for the exploration of issues critical to growing communities' air, water, energy, transportation, politics, the arts, history and culture. UCR gives every student the resources to explore, engage, imagine and excel.
At UC Riverside we celebrate diversity and are proud of our #4 ranking among the nation for most diverse universities (US News and World Report 2011). Become part of a place that fosters success for all its constituents, students, faculty, and staff, and where work/life balance and campus culture are integral to our way of life.
UCR is ranked 41st among top public universities (US News and World Report 2011) and is an affirmative action and equal opportunity employer, with a commitment to workforce diversity.
For information about our generous employee benefits package, visit: Employee Benefits Overview