The University of Maryland School of Dentistry, Department of Information Services currently has four  openings for an Information Systems Engineer. The selected candidates will design, develop and implement IT application solutions that meet campus business requirements while providing optimal performance and ensuring integration with related systems.
• Provide daily IT Help Desk support of School of Dentistry applications to faculty, staff and students.
• Develop documentation/instructions to be posted on OIT Help Desk website
• Work with users and other IT staff to determine and develop specific information systems requirements and processes.
• Evaluate specifications and requirements against available solutions.
• Analyze, design, develop, and implement fully integrated systems which may include applications, databases, networks, and related systems.
• Install, setup, configure and troubleshoot personal computers, handheld devices and peripherals.
• Ensure system integrity and efficiency.
• Recommend modifications for third party software products and act as a liaison to software vendors to meet user needs
• At least 4 years appropriate education, experience, and/or training in programming.
• Knowledge in the use and support of Apple Corporation’s computer products in an enterprise environment is preferred.
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
• Provide support to senior-level staff.
• Ability to collaborate with clients and/or other member of the team.
• Ability to communicate effectively, both orally and in writing.
• Ability to use applications software, data structures, utilities, operating systems, and communication interfaces within the existing computing environment.
• Ability to use systems work flow and logic flowchart techniques.
• Ability to keep current with emerging software and programming technologies/techniques.
• Aptitude to perform systems analysis.
• Programming skills in appropriate industry standard 3rd and 4th Generation Languages and Tool Sets.
• Knowledge of existing campus-defined systems, applications, and standards.
• Knowledge of systems development life cycle and structured systems development techniques.
• Knowledge of formal data flow analysis methodologies.
• Knowledge of database design concepts and network operating systems.
• Familiarity with client/server technologies and website applications.
• Ability to perform systems and applications needs analysis.
• Ability to develop application implementation plans, install software, and apply fixes.
• Ability to support users and assist them in the use of application software.
• Provide mentoring to those with less knowledge of systems engineering.
• Knowledge of Client/Server and WEB technologies.
• Knowledge of system/equipment capability, design restrictions, and security requirements.
• Ability to integrate all systems including operating systems, applications, networks, and databases, as well as knowledge of distributed processing technology.
• Ability to apply consultative skills to assess and evaluate user needs and communicate technology alternatives and solutions.
• Ability to identify hardware/software interface problems.
• Ability to prepare requests for proposals and evaluate responses, and conduct feasibility studies.
• Ability to lead, instruct, guide, and assist Information Technology staff members during the development, testing, and implementation of computer systems.
• Ability to use project management tools.
Hiring Range: Commensurate with education and experience
Filing Deadline: open until filled
Posting Date: 11/30/2012
If accommodations are needed, contact Staffing & Career Services at 410-706-7171, Monday – Friday, 8:30am – 4:30pm EST. Maryland Relay can be accessed by dialing 711 (in-state) or 1-800-735-2258.