The Libraries and Instructional Media Services Department is seeking a full-time Librarian to lead the strategic development of the Technical Services Unit, and who will have direct responsibility as the Cataloguing Librarian. The incumbent should be a dynamic, innovative individual with strong communication, analytical and interpersonal skills that engender excellence to librarianship, customer service, collegiality and professionalism. The Librarian will demonstrate sound understanding of emerging technologies and trends in library and information science and their application in an academic library environment; a commitment to developing excellent, innovative and integrated library services within the institution is crucial.
This position reports to the Deputy Librarian.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Facilitating the delivery of effective library and information services in an environment conducive to study, research, personal and professional growth;
• Facilitating the development of the technical services function;
• Contributing to the formulation and review of library policies and procedures;
• Preparing operation and procedures manuals;
• Supervising and training library personnel and student assistant(s);
• Contributing to the collection development programme;
• Conducting and assessing information literacy sessions as required;
• Preparing monthly and annual reports, budgetary requests, and statistical data as required;
• Holding monthly meetings with Technical Services Unit staff;
• Participating in general, branch, faculty, professional and committee meetings and activities;
• Participating in departmental projects, staff development activities, programmes, etc.
• Conducting library related research;
• Working one evening per week and one weekend per month reference desk shift;
• Serving on the Library’s mid-management team;
• Representing the College on local and international committees;
• Expanding and maintaining links with local and international library communities;
• Performing other related duties as assigned to support the ongoing development of the Department.
• An earned master’s degree in Library and/or Information Science from an accredited university; and
• A minimum of seven (7) years post master’s experience in an academic library which includes management and leadership of a library unit.
Doctoral Degree: $42,160 - $71,410
Master's Degree: $37,660 - $63,310
1 August 2013
15 February 2013 (extended)
Applicants should send the following:
• A completed College of The Bahamas Application for Employment Form (www.cob.edu.bs/hrprofile );
• A letter of interest (highlighting work experience and accomplishments relevant to the position);
• An up-to-date curriculum vitae or resume;
• Teaching philosophy statement;
• Evidence of excellence in teaching;
• Evidence of research and scholarship;
• Unofficial transcripts (official transcripts needed for employment); and
• At least three confidential, professional references.
Applications will NOT be considered without the complete package.
The College of The Bahamas
Human Resources Department
P. O. Box N-4912
Poinciana Drive & Thompson Boulevard
Attention: Ms. Renée Mayers
Associate Vice President, Human Resources