Posting Description: The physician assistant will provide clinical care in the Emergency Department at the University of Colorado Hospital, as delegated by a person licensed to practice medicine in Colorado. Principal activities include patient care in a "fast track" episodic care environment, working in a Clinical Decision Unit in the Emergency Department, as well as working collaboratively with Faculty Attendings on more complicated patients. Delegated medical care includes, but is not limited to, the assessment, treatment and care of patients of all age categories. It is expected the employee will be competent to interpret age specific developmental, physiologic and unique care needs by assessment and by observation of care delivery.
Specific duties will be as follows:
1. Performs histories and physicals on episodic, low acuity patients in the Emergency Department as delegated by physicians.
2. Collects, reviews and correlates data to assist physician in appropriate medical management of patients.
3. Assists physician by triaging and monitoring patients, referring for appropriate care as indicated.
4. Assists in scheduling patients for various clinical appointments and procedures. Participates in patient education.
5. Performs, or assists physician with, direct patient care services as needed. Administers medicine and therapeutic agents as directed.
6. Participates in performance improvement activities; quality improvement and patient safety activities; assists in maintaining compliance with JCAHO accreditation and other internal and external regulatory standards including the code of conduct.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills of personnel so classified.
Required Education/Experience/Skills (Minimum Qualifications): 1. Active and current license to practice as a physician assistant in the State of Colorado
2. Certificate of completion from a physician assistant program accredited by the Commission on Accreditation of Allied Health Education Programs (CAAHEP)
3. Certification by the National Commission on Certification of Physician Assistants
4. Current and active certification in basic life support (BLS)
5. Baccalaureate degree
6. One year clinical experience in emergency care or urgent care
Desired Qualifications: 1. Two years or more of clinical experience in emergency care or urgent care
2. Master's degree
3. Certification in advanced cardiac life support (ACLS)
4. Fluency in Spanish
Deadline to Apply: Open Until Filled