The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology of the State University of New York, invites applicants and nominations for the position of Part Time IT Assistant.
Thank you for considering Fashion Institute of Technology in your search.
About Fashion Institute of Technology:
The Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), an internationally renowned college of art and design, business and technology, of the State University of New York, invites nominations and applications for a full-time tenure-track faculty position in the Production Management Department.
The Fashion Institute of Technology, a part of the State University of New York, has been a leader in career education in art, design, business, and technology for nearly 70 years. With a curriculum that provides a singular blend of hands-on, practical experience, classroom study, and a firm grounding in the liberal arts, FIT offers a wide range of outstanding programs that are relevant to today's rapidly changing industries. Internationally renowned, FIT draws on its New York City location to provide a vibrant, creative community in which to learn. The college offers more than 45 majors and grants AAS, BFA, BS, MA, MFA, and MPS degrees, preparing students for professional success and leadership in the global marketplace.
With close ties to industry, FIT draws faculty from the city's art, business, and design elite, and from the rich academic community of the region. The college continually seeks creative faculty members who are passionate about their field and demonstrate exceptional professional capability in the core competencies of instruction design, learning enrichment, globalism, and use of technology, as well as mastery of established and emerging industry practices.
The Jay and Patty Baker School of Business and Technology educates students for management and leadership roles within the fashion and related creative industries. Our curricular integrates a deep appreciation of how markets, business environments, advanced business technology and competition can be managed in a global context. The school provides a professional faculty and business climate that enables students to be immediately valuable contributors to their industries.
The Baker School of Business and Technology collaborates with both the School of Art and Design, and the School of Liberal Arts, whose courses help students to better understand themselves, others, and their place in an increasingly complex world. The school co-operates to design curricular and educational experiences that help hone general skills and behaviors that employers increasingly demand: critical thinking and problem solving skills, a strong sense of professional and ethical responsibility, social skills, the ability to work productively in teams, and good oral and written communications skills.
The vision of the School is to be the most academically recognized school of excellence where students come to learn about the business of the core industries that we serve-the creative, fashion and design industries-and where industry, government and associations see creative alliances for the development of ideas, solution innovation, future thinking, and problem solving.
Production Management is the engineering hub of the fashion industry. From design concept, product merchandising, advanced manufacturing, global logistics and distribution, nothing happens without our graduates being involved. It is their responsibility to deliver quality merchandise to other businesses and consumers-and to deliver it on time, at the right price, and at a profit. Our AAS and BS programs provide students with a solid foundation in business principles, practical in-classroom training with industry specific software, advanced manufacturing engineering concepts, and knowledge of manufacturing equipment; and internships in both degrees, opportunities for studying abroad, all enabling the student to develop a comprehensive business plan for a manufacturing company. Students graduate with the new found skills that prepare them for the ever changing dynamics of the global fashion industry and the complex worldwide relationships of customer, retailer, and supply chain. Production Management is Global Fashion.
The Production Management Department is searching for qualified applicants to fill a full-time tenure-track position. This faculty member would be expected to teach specialized manufacturing courses in production technology, industry engineering, computer-based costing, and technical applications as they relate to manufacturing. Qualified applicants will have a working knowledge of PDM or PLM software. In addition, our instructors must have a working knowledge of Microsoft Office applications, in particular-Excel, Access, and PowerPoint. This expertise would be used to teach core computer-based technology courses including Excel for Business, Database Management and Information Systems for Business.
For the Production Management Department to maintain its position as the leading educator of students for the industry, we seek candidates who have professional capabilities and excel in the following five college-wide core competency areas:
· Demonstrates the ability to use technology and electronic information to enhance one's professional productivity such as communicating, collaborating, conducting research, solving problems, and enhancing personal performance.
· Has an awareness and experience with discipline-specific equipment, and computer hardware and software used in industry.
· Creates and maintains a network of alumni and industry experts who can be called upon as resources for course and curriculum development, focus groups, guest speakers, internships and placement opportunities for students.
· Has developed expertise in multiple areas over their professional career as disciplines and industry have changed.
· Exhibits a continued love of learning through scholarly research, professional consulting, and membership in appropriate professional organizations.
· Emphasize the value of interdisciplinary learning.
· Demonstrates an awareness of global issues and their impact on production management and the fashion industry.
· Is aware of, and can engage students in the impacts of cultural diversity on their careers.
· Through industry experiences has demonstrated the ability to balance both theory and the practical application of knowledge to include the building skills that are necessary to be successful.
· Maintains connection to industry that allows integration of professional practice with classroom learning.
· Adapts course content to adjust to developments in the field.
· Seven (7) years of demonstrated managerial experience, some of which involves international trade.
· Bachelor of Science degree is required.
· Must have excellent communication skills.
· Pursue involvement in professional organizations and maintain industry relationships.
· A demonstrated commitment to quality education and student-centeredness.
· Must have the ability to work with a diverse student population and be part of a collaborative team.
A graduate degree is strongly desired. Some prior teaching experience on a college level is preferred.
FIT is firmly committed to creating an environment that will attract and retain people of diverse racial and cultural backgrounds. By providing a learning and working environment that encourages, utilizes, respects, and appreciates the full expression of every individual's ability, the FIT community fosters its mission and grows because of its rich, pluralistic experience. FIT is committed to prohibiting discrimination, whether based on race, national origin, gender, religion, ethnic background, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, or any other criterion prohibited by applicable federal, state, or local laws. FIT is committed to providing equal opportunity in employment, including the opportunity for upward mobility for all qualified individuals.
This faculty position will begin Fall 2013. Review of applications will commence in November and continue until the position is filled. The salary and appointment rank will be based on education level and cumulative experience. Please note a background check is required for appointment to this position. Online applications are strongly encouraged.
· Letter of interest clearly indicating your qualifications for the position;
· Curriculum Vitae/Resume;
· A minimum of three professional references, including names, titles, addresses, phone numbers, and e-mail contact information;
· A list of academic activities beyond classroom instructions (course outlines, developed curricula, evidence of participation in accreditation processes, etc.)
Please note due that due to the volume of applications, we will not be able to contact each applicant individually. Additional information about the Fashion Institute of Technology can be found at: www.fitnyc.edu .