Posting Title : STAFF COUNSEL - Office of University Counsel
Requisition Number : 1619
City : Medford
State/Province : Massachusetts
Zip code : 02155
Job Description-Overview :
The Office of University Counsel is responsible for managing the legal affairs of the university including advising the schools and divisions on legal issues. The Office of University Counsel coordinates the delivery of all legal services on behalf of Tufts University. The office provides advice and support to the University's administrative and academic personnel on a broad range of matters, including employee relations, real estate transactions, contracts, litigation and policy development. The office also coordinates the selection and supervision of outside law firms.
The Staff Counsel position will report to the Senior Counsel for Labor and Employment and will assist on a range of legal services with special emphasis on employment and labor issues. The Staff Counsel will:
• Direct or assist in the defense of lawsuits and administrative actions filed by employees and third parties in federal and state courts and agencies such as the EEOC, MCAD, OSHA, MA Dept. of Higher Ed., OCR.
• Perform all tasks associated with litigation involving Tufts, such as drafting and filing of legal memoranda, briefs, motions, pleadings; taking and defending discovery; trial work; settlement of cases.
• Review and interpret federal, state and local employment laws and agency rulings.
• Develop, review, and interpret university policies and practices.
• Advise Human Resources, Office of Equal Opportunity, and senior level managers on all aspects of discrimination law, including the investigation and defense of employment claims, equal opportunity, personnel policy and practice, and labor issues.
• Consult with internal and external legal counsel, university officials and HR/OEO in the preparation, presentation and resolution of legal issues.
• Stay current on case law and legislation in order to provide timely advice on legal developments that have potential impact on university.
• Conduct legal research and prepare legal memoranda.
• Assist Senior Legal Counsel in advising clients on all aspects of faculty employment including the investigation and defense of faculty grievances.
• Assist Senior Legal Counsel in advising school administrators on all aspects of student legal issues, including the investigation and processing of student disciplinary proceedings.
• Assist Senior Counsel in responding to federal and state subpoenas, and in conducting related investigations.
Job Description - Requirements :
• Must possess a J.D.
• Minimum of five plus (5+) years of practice in employment law and labor law
• Current license to practice law in Massachusetts
• Must demonstrate a strong work ethic, must possess and respond to the client-driven schedule and pace of in-house legal work
• Must have ability to manage a variety of legal issues, oversee outside counsel services, and provide legal advice to diverse client base consisting of highly-educated faculty and administrators
• Ability to attend meetings throughout all three campuses (Medford/Somerville, Boston, and Grafton)
Litigation experience is strongly preferred. Prior university experience is a plus.
Tufts University is an AA/EO employer and actively seeks candidates from diverse backgrounds.