Requisition Number: 19048BR
Department: Grounds Mtnce
University Job Title: Gardener 8-10
Bargaining Unit: L35
Job Category: Service & Maintenance
Type of Employment: Full Time
Work Week: Non Standard Work Week
Work Location: Central Campus
Worksite Address: Central Campus, Goffe St.
1. Plans, lays out and directs work.
2. Determines the manpower, means and methods and materials needed to accomplish work assignments under limited supervision.
3. Identifies different varieties of plant materials, ground covers and provides proper cultural requirements such as pruning, spraying, etc.
4. If required may operate automatic irrigation systems and adjusts to meet the needs of turf or plant material.
5. Makes minor repairs to irrigation systems, cleans and replaces damaged heads.
6. Conducts all phases of planting, lawn installation and other projects on campus.
7. Recommends changes in equipment, materials or procedures to improve productivity and increase efficiency.
8. Designs and installs flagstone or other paving materials for walks, patios, etc.
9. Identifies disease, insect or weed problems affecting turn, trees and other plant material.
10. Institutes appropriate control or preventive measures and files in-house paperwork under limited supervision.
11. Directs and trains lower labor grades. Performs work of lower labor grades.
Required Education and Experience:
High School Diploma or equivalent.
Labor Grade 8
Three years in LG6, five years in department, six (6) month rotation, spring through fall, in each of three areas:
Science/Central/Medical; Athletic Fields; Golf Course. Lack of rotation limits bidding to areas worked.
Must take custom Grounds Supervisory Classes and take test. A 50% average on the CT Custom Grounds Supervisory Test will waive the in house written test.
Must take in house written and practical tests (70% passing), except as noted above.
Labor Grade 10
Must be in LG8 for four years.
High School Diploma or equivalent (GED).
Eight (8) years of related work experience in landscape maintenance.
Experience with software tools such as Microsoft Office.
Background Check Requirements: All external candidates for employment will be subject to pre-employment background screening for this position, which may include motor vehicle and credit checks based on the position description and job requirements. Internal candidates may be subject to a motor vehicle or credit check for this position based on the position description and job requirements. All offers are contingent on successful completion of the required background check. Please visit www.yale.edu/hronline/careers/screening/faqs.html  for additional information on the background check requirements and process.
Weekend Hours Required?: No
Evening Hours Required?: No
Drug Screen: No
Health Screening: No
Yale University is an affirmative action/equal opportunity employer. Yale values diversity in its faculty, staff, and students and strongly encourages applications from women and members of underrepresented minority groups.