Prairie State College, an award winning community college located 30 miles south of downtown Chicago, is seeking candidates for ESL/Spanish GED Student Services Specialist.
The major responsibilities of this position include outreach, recruitment, testing, and registration of ESL and Spanish GED students. The Student Services Specialist is also involved in retention and transition activities.
1. Provides outreach and recruitment activities both on and off-campus in the community.
2. Works cooperatively with Institutional Support Services to develop and distribute flyers and other materials for distribution in the community, schools, agencies, and other groups that work with the immigrant population.
3. Responds to calls inquiring about ESL, Spanish GED, and Citizenship training classes.
4. Works cooperatively with the Communications and Marketing department to develop and translate into Spanish announcements for newspapers, school newsletters, and other media.
5. Schedules and coordinates all placement testing sessions.
6. Trains proctors in the proper administration and scoring of the ESL placement test and post test.
7. Coordinates the registration process: completion of registration forms, bio cards, and other required information.
8. Plans the graduation and recognition ceremonies, awards, and other certificates awarded to the students.
9. Plans and implements retention/transition activities such as College Awareness Week, midterm activities, student advisory groups, and ESL buddies.
10. Schedules and conducts orientation sessions.
11. Works cooperatively with the Dean in program assessment.
12. Assists students with GED Test Applications.
13. Works cooperatively with the Adult Education Student Services Specialist and other staff in providing outreach, recruitment, testing, registration, retention, and transition activities.
OTHER DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
1. Maintains registration files in the record room.
2. Updates and translates all program brochures and works with the Communications and Marketing department to ensure College standards.
3. Updates and translates the information on the Adult Education department Web page.
4. Maintains a database of contacts for dissemination of outreach materials.
5. Attends appropriate trainings for GED Test changes, assessment updates, student retention, and citizenship policies.
6. Updates/maintains student orientation handbook.
1. Bachelor’s degree in counseling, education, ESL or related field.
2. One year experience working in student services or office management.
3. Demonstrated ability to work with students in a culturally diverse environment.
4. Demonstrated excellent oral, written, and interpersonal skills.