The National Labor College is located on a beautiful 46-acre campus in suburban Silver Spring, Maryland, about 25 minutes from downtown Washington, DC. The NLC is the only institution of higher learning that focuses exclusively on the higher education needs of labor union leaders and members. Founded in 1969 and formally opened in 1974, the George Meany Center for Labor Studies was established by the AFL-CIO to promote education and training opportunities for union leadership and members.
This is a new permanent Grade 7 position at the National Labor College. The Assistant Registrar will serve as a member of the Enrollment Management team, and will work collaboratively with campus leadership to ensure delivery of existing services and development of new functionality and services in Power Campus and other systems. This position will require functional and technical expertise supporting Power Campus and other student related software solutions held within the College’s portfolio.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for IT-related initiatives for the Office of the Registrar and the Enrollment Management team
- Responsible for implementation and optimization of academic processes within Power Campus and other college systems
- Develop and monitor processes that ensure data integrity within the information systems of the Office of the Registrar and Enrollment Management team
- Work in conjunction with the Director of Institutional Research to ensure that data can be extracted for university reporting purposes
- Assist the Registrar and Director of Institutional Research in the development and production of reports needed to provide information for NLC management, staff and faculty
- Set up business process maps, write queries as needed and train staff on generating and/or writing reports
- Assist the Registrar in the maintaining and auditing the integrity of student academic records
- Design, develop and implement academic records processes and standards
- Provide training for all end users in the areas of Academic records in PC
- Assist the Registrar in developing an effective communication plan among related departments
- Assist the Registrar in developing a Data Standards manual and procedural documentation for all academic processes within Power Campus and other systems
- Assist the Registrar to encouraging faculty and students to use the online self service
- Assist and backup registrar activities such as student course registration, course scheduling, grading, and other duties as assigned
- Master's degree, preferably in information technology or computer science or Bachelor’s degree with substantial professional experience in or both of those fields
- Relevant experience in a Registrar's Office or similar office in a higher education environment
- Experience with a contemporary student information system, preferably with Power Campus
- Understanding of NLC’s mission to provide higher education to union members
- Documented proficiency using report writing tools generating database queries using SQL. Proficiency in Access and Excel is required
- Documented ability to identify, recommend and implement new technologies or processes to enhance services
- Demonstrated ability to interpret academic and administrative policies and implement them within Power Campus and other college systems
- Demonstrated strong writing and editing skills
- Demonstrated excellent customer service skills
- Demonstrated ability and willingness to work collaboratively and put forth extra effort as required
- Documented ability to multitask, to meet competing deadlines and set priorities
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with a wide variety of individuals and groups
- Demonstrated ability to work with students in a respectful and supportive manner
- Excel, Access, Judgment
This position reports directly to the Registrar.
Work schedule is Monday through Friday beginning at 9:00 a.m. Hours are irregular. No overtime, compensatory time only.
Interested applicants should send a cover letter and resume to:
Attn: Assistant Registrar for System
The National Labor College is an equal opportunity employer. Women and people of color are strongly encouraged to apply.