Job ID: 2012-39577
# Positions: 1
Posted Date: 11/12/2012
Division: DeVry University
Department: Student Finance
Employment Type: Regular Full-Time
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
About DeVry Inc.:
About DeVry Inc.
DeVry's purpose is to empower its students to achieve their educational and career goals. DeVry (NYSE: DV; member S&P MidCap 400 Index) is a global provider of educational services and the parent organization of Advanced Academics, American University of the Caribbean School of Medicine, Becker Professional Education, Carrington College, Carrington College California, Chamberlain College of Nursing, DeVry Brasil, DeVry University, Ross University School of Medicine and Ross University School of Veterinary Medicine. These institutions offer a wide array of programs in business, healthcare, technology, accounting and finance. For more information, please visit http://www.devryinc.com .
The Student Finance Advisor I is responsible for providing excellent customer service to students in relation to their financial aid and student accounts. Assesses student finance needs and provides recommendations which enable students to develop a comprehensive financial plan to complete their education at DeVry. Is proactive in assisting students and other employees in resolving basic student finance issues which may prevent funding of educational expenses. Expedites issue resolution for students and campus staff with the assistance of authorized members of their team. The responsibilities of this position include inbound call handling, responding to written requests via e-mail, performing routine account maintenance, submitting requests to resolve student finance issues and accepting monetary payments over the telephone.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides customer service to internal and external customers by being available to handle inbound telephone calls and by responding to written inquiries. Displays 100% Accountability customer service skills in every customer interaction. Follows Student Finance policy and procedure in execution of any account maintenance requests.
- Assists student or campus staff member in all aspects of their financial aid, student account and registration.
- Follows-up on all items preventing or delaying the awarding and disbursement of financial aid to ensure that all students are ready to disburse at or before the end of the first session. This includes contact with external and internal departments.
- Documents and tracks all calls and customer interactions into appropriate systems.
- May be required to work at least one evening shift per week, as well as serving on a Saturday shift rotation.
- Is knowledgeable in handling questions from students and campus personnel. Has a basic understanding of all systems related to the student's account and eligibility.
- Takes ownership of student finance issue resolution and is able to resolve basic issues on his/her own. Seeks assistance of an Student Finance Consultant to resolve issues which are complex, urgent or out of the ordinary.
- If possible compliance findings to federal, state or institutional regulations are discovered via regular workflow, escalate to CSL.
- Supports and works in cooperation with Campuses/Centers, other departments, and SF Ops.
- Performs the roles and responsibilities of a Student Finance Advisor Level II as assigned.
- Participates in special projects and process improvement initiatives as needed. Contributes by sharing ideas, assisting in pilot testing, tracking and reporting of results.
- Completes training as required. May train and mentor newer Student Finance Advisors. May support development of training materials.
- Completes department reporting as assigned.
- From time-to-time is able to support campus and Center Student Finance Departments by traveling on-site to assista with office staffing needs. While it is difficult to anticipate campus demands, we ask that the team members are willing to travel 12 weeks per year if needed.
- Follows Student Finance policy and procedure in execution of any account maintenance request.
- Maintains positive work environment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Bachelor degree preferred. Some post high school education is required.
- Ability to be sensitive to student concerns regarding financial matters and be able to clearly and professionally inform students of their financial responsibilities.
- Accuracy in data entry and analysis of student account information.
- Basic PC Skills. Experience in Microsoft Word and Excel is desired
- Excellent customer services skills demonstrated verbally and through professional written communication.
- Ability to work in a proactive environment that provides a full complement of services in accelerated 8-week cycles.
- Ability to assist students with completing the various financial aid applications and follow up on outstanding paperwork.
- Ability to quickly learn and retain the complex world of student finance policy and procedure.
- The Student Finance Service Centers maintain flexible office hours of service. Staff members are expected to work hours as agreed.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to multi-task between calls, research and provide written response to students. Also able to balance daily production requirements with special assignments (i.e. projects, reporting, etc...)
- Customer service experience required. Minimum of one year.
- Previous experience in Student Finance or other department in a university or academic setting is desirable.
- Communicates with impact both verbal and written in an accurate, understandable and succinct manner while adapting communication style to your audience.
- Proactively solves problems through asking questions, listening to responses, verifying information, considering alternate conclusions and staying solution focused.
We are proud to be an EEO employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing. Thank you for applying for this outstanding opportunity today.