The Study Abroad Advisor will be responsible for managing a portfolio of the study abroad programs administered by the Center for International Programs.
We especially encourage applications from individuals who can bring diverse cultural and ethnic perspectives and experiences to the campus.
The State University of New York at New Paltz is a highly selective, public college that is recognized regionally for the strength of its academic programs. It is located in the beautiful Hudson River Valley with easy access to New York City and other nearby recreational and cultural amenities.
o advising prospective study abroad students about the programs under the advisor’s supervision
o advising students accepted to these programs regarding such issues as application procedures, academics, scholarship opportunities, course enrollment procedures, travel, housing, visas, documentation, costs, culture, health and safety, etc.
o reviewing program applications and making acceptance decisions in consultation with the Study Abroad Coordinator
o liaising with partner institutions, faculty directors and resident directors
o communicating with students, parents, home and host institutions, and campus offices regarding program matters
o coordinating pre-departure arrangements and participating in orientations, both pre-departure and re-entry
o coordinating logistical details (travel, visa support, registration, payment) for assigned programs
o updating program information including program acceptance materials, orientation guides, etc.
o providing content for handbooks, program guides, website, etc.
o working with Study Abroad Coordinator on recruitment efforts and marketing such as fairs, travel, events, programming, and web based social media
o working with student peer counselors
o working on center-wide, campus-wide, and system-wide initiatives in coordination with the Dean for International Programs and Study Abroad Coordinator
Study abroad programs and some of the functional responsibilities assigned to the advisor will depend on candidate’s professional experience, geographic expertise and the needs of the study abroad office.
• Masters degree. Bachelors in a related field with relevant professional experience considered
• Experience as a study abroad student or an equivalent international experience (international volunteering, service, internship or work abroad, etc).
• Significant knowledge of a part of the world where New Paltz offers study abroad programs
• Experience in higher education or with an international education organization
• Student advising experience
• Demonstrated career interest in international education
• Excellent computer skills
• Attention to detail
• Strong organizational skills and the ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks
• Strong communication skills well as public speaking and presentation experience
• Willingness to work as part of a motivated team committed to international education
• Demonstrated sensitivity to cross-cultural issues and diversity
• Ability to work effectively and communicate with different groups of people including students, faculty, parents, campus administrators and international programs staff at universities here and abroad
• Problem-solving ability and initiative
• Ability to handle a fast-paced work environment and to learn information quickly
• Commitment to serving students as well as increasing and diversifying study abroad participation
• Availability to travel overnight when required as well as to work some nights and weekends
• Valid New York State driver’s license
• Applications will be accepted only from US citizens or permanent residents.
• Masters in international education or a closely related field
• Professional experience in study abroad
• Proficiency in a second language preferably in line with New Paltz study abroad offerings
• Knowledge of national-level scholarship opportunities
• Knowledge of higher education in other countries
• Web 2.0 skills and experience with multilayer social marketing
• Experience with Studio Abroad
• Experience developing and delivering re-entry programming
• Experience with health, safety and risk management issues
• Membership in NAFSA: The Association of International Educators
• Participation in NAFSA Foundations or Professional Development Workshops or equivalent
• Membership in the Forum on Education Abroad
Contact Information: Please note search number P12-33 on all materials submitted in connection with this search. Send your letter of application, resume and the names and contact information of three business references to:
SUNY New Paltz
Search # P12-33
Study Abroad Advisor
1 Hawk Drive, HR/HAB 203
New Paltz, NY 12561
Applications will also be accepted via email to email@example.com  (preferred format is Microsoft Word, file extension “.doc”).
Deadline: Review begins immediately and continues until the position is filled.
Federal law and regulations require notice to all prospective employees regarding crimes that have occurred on campus in the current three year period. Please refer to the University Police Web site for the complete Annual Security Report (“Clery Report”) at www.newpaltz.edu/police/securityact.html .
SUNY New Paltz is an AA/EOE/ADA employer.