Open Rank Faculty Position in Production Design/ Art Direction/ Scene Design
- Institution Type
- Four-Year Institution
Jan 28, 2019
The Department of Theatre and Dance at The University of Texas at Austin seeks a tenured/ tenure-track faculty member with a focus in Production Design for Film/ Television and/or Media. Our creative and scholarly community is committed to collaboration not only in the making of performance but in the delivery of the curriculum with a high value placed on transparency, diplomacy, and inclusivity. Successful candidates will demonstrate the ability to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion in their work and portfolio. The department is strongly committed to the creation of new work and the exploration of new ways of working.
The successful candidate in Production Design will join a dynamic program in Live Design and will collaborate with faculty, as well as graduate and undergraduate students across all areas of theatre, dance, and production. We seek candidates with a record of preparing emerging artists as catalysts for equity, innovation, and quality on local and global levels. Production Design candidates with experience as a Scenic Designer, Art Director, and/or Digital Designer for one or more of the following areas are encouraged to apply: Film, Television, Experimental Performance, Culturally Specific Performance, and/or other Live Performance Events. A secondary emphasis in design for other Live Performance Events such as Dance/Physical Theatre and Opera is also desirable.
The ideal candidate will teach at both the graduate and undergraduate levels, fostering critical study, creative practice, and provocation in the classroom and beyond. Applicants must hold a terminal degree and/or have a significant record of professional accomplishments in the field. We are looking for candidates with strong skills in collaboration and communication, as well as professional networks to help bridge classroom experiences and the profession. Prior teaching experience is desirable. Tenure-track or tenured faculty members are also expected to maintain an active agenda of scholarly research or creative professional practice.
The University of Texas at Austin is an equal opportunity institution dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty of all races, ethnicities, genders, backgrounds, experiences, and perspectives.
We are especially interested in candidates who can demonstrate successful and ethical leadership and a passion for working within a community of diverse student, faculty, staff, and professional populations.
Rank, salary, and tenure status are commensurate with experience. Starting date: August, 2019.
- Terminal degree or an equivalent significant record of professional accomplishments in the field.
- A record of professional accomplishments that merit a tenured or tenure-track appointment at The University of Texas at Austin.
- Evidence of supporting, teaching, and/or mentoring emerging artists in the classroom and the field.
- Demonstrate strong skills in collaboration and communication, as well as professional networks to help bridge classroom experiences and the profession.
- Evidence of successfully promoting an environment that advances diversity, equity, and inclusion.
- A commitment to shared governance.
- Dedicated collaborator.
- Experience teaching graduate and undergraduate students.
- Experience in curriculum development.
- A passion for innovative and cross-disciplinary programs.
- A commitment to new work.
- Experience in more than one area of production design.
Review of applications will begin on March 1, 2019. The position will remain open until filled.
To apply for the position, please submit the following documents to Interfolio at https://apply.interfolio.com/59904
- A one to two-page letter of application that speaks to the required and preferred qualifications of the position.
- Curriculum Vitae
- A document containing a link to a personal website with work samples that speak to professional success (i.e. artistic, teaching/mentoring, and diversity, equity and inclusion initiatives). Feel free to provide a two to three sentence description to provide context.
- A list of three professional references and contact information.
- Additional materials, such as full letters of support, may be requested at a later date.