Assistant Director Student Financial Data Systems - Student Financial Services (S719)
The person in this position is responsible for the configuration and management of the PeopleSoft Student Financials and Financial Aid data systems in support of Undergraduate and APS SFS staff. This position requires a strong background in Federal and State Financial Aid Regulations along with accounting and financials principles. The person in this position should be able to understand and clearly communicate the business process of the organization, and maintain the configuration of the Student Financials and Financial Aid data system to reflect those business processes. This person works with a team of three and is responsible to direct the Data System Analyst’s daily work flow.
This person works closely with Enterprise Data Management, Admissions, Registrar, Business Office, and IMT to provide excellent customer service to students and parents.
- Masters Degree in MIS/CIS, or equivalent work experience required.
- 5-7 years experience configuring and managing financial systems, financial aid systems preferably for a higher education institution. Experience with PeopleSoft preferred.
Primary Duties/Essential Functions
- Manages the configuration and update activities of the Student Financials and Financial Aid software in support of the UG and APS SFS offices. Delegate assignments to the Data Analysts as needed.
- Manages external files uploads between other departments and the UG/APS SFS Offices.
- Works with EDM to coordinate and test periodic patches and bundles to the PeopleSoft system.
- Trains the Data Analysts and other functional users.
- Meets regularly with the EDM Systems Analysts, Data Analysts, Assistant Directors, and IMT to maintain SFS processes and make improvements.
- Oversees and tests payment plan functionality.
- Creates and runs queries and reports as needed by staff.
- Reviews systems and data management procedures used by the UG/APS SFS Offices in order to propose and recommend the adoption and implementation of improvements and upgrades. Manages data integrity issues for these SFS Offices.
- Assists the Director in establishing and reaching customer service goals.
- Manages the mail merge communications plan for students throughout the year and works with the Assistant Directors and Associate Director to implement new features.
- Works with the EDM Systems Analyst to manage federal moneys so that they are correctly spent by the University within the most current laws administered by the Federal Department of Education
- Works with the EDM Systems Analyst to reconcile FISAP expenditures and to report reconciliation to the Federal Government.
- Leads, assigns work, and provides project leadership to a matrix team on small to midsized technical projects and subprojects.
- Serves as a member of a number of data teams on Campus.
- Accesses and consults resources on student account and financial aid issues and polices through attending internal and external training sessions. Remains current with State and Federal student account and financial aid regulations using written publications, the internet, list-servs and outside training sessions. Attends conferences and webinars.
- Maintains training manuals and UPK.
- Test the software.
- Other assignments as determined by the Director of UG/APS SFS.
- Regular, punctual attendance as required by the supervisor based on department needs.
- Computer and word-processing skills.
- Ability to communicate effectively with internal and external Student Account professionals at all levels.
- Able to handle multiple tasks and responsibilities with minimal supervision.
- Strong interpersonal, collaborative, organizational and problem-solving skills.
- Able to work with little supervision.
- Ability to plan details of procedures and methods to obtain definite objectives.
- Ability to understand written and verbal instructions.
- Able to understand document procedure.
- Ability to exercise independent judgment; use discretion in making decisions along with logical problem solving.
- Make decisions within broad limitations of University policy.
- Ability to maintain accuracy during periods of high stress.
- In agreement with the purpose and goals of Azusa Pacific University in providing a Christian-based higher education for its students.
- Intermittent sitting and standing.
- Substantial repetitive motions with wrist, hand and/or fingers.
- Talking and hearing demands.
- Able to conduct business at various offices on campus.
- Able to lift, pull grasp, bend to lower file drawer and reach to top of 5-drawer file cabinet.
- Able to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Extensive use of the computer monitor, reading.
- Pleasant but busy office, comfortable temperature.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office, Word and Excel. Strong understanding of complex data bases.
Azusa Pacific University will conduct a background check on all final candidates.Review of applications will begin immediately, and the position will remain open until filled unless otherwise stated. Azusa Pacific University does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, disability, or status as a veteran in any of its policies, practices, or procedures. Women and minorities are encouraged to apply.