Health Sci.s Librarian
Budget Title: Senior Assistant/Associate Librarian
Department: Health Sciences Library
Salary: Commensurate with experience
Campus: Stony Brook West Campus/HSC
Required Qualifications: MLS or equivalent from an ALA accredited program. Ability to do research, publication and service consistent with University standards for promotion and tenure. At least one year full-time relevant experience in a library.
Preferred Qualifications: Advanced degree in education, educational technology, health sciences or any related discipline. Experience providing information, reference and instructional services in an academic, medical or special library. Experience with online information resources and information management tools for health and medicine. Demonstrated ability to manage multiple responsibilities and to work collaboratively with others in a team environment. Evidence of flexibility and ability to thrive in a complex environment with excellent communication and analytical skills. Training or experience in the use of information technology, scholarly communications, and experience building and sustaining collections in all formats. Membership (certification) in the Academy of Health Information Professionals.
Responsibilities & Requirements: Reporting to the Head of the Health Sciences Library, the Health Sciences Librarian will contribute to the University Library's suite of service activities, including information and instructional services, scholarly communication and research support services, collection development, liaison, and outreach services. The incumbent works most directly with the five Health Sciences Schools. The successful candidate will:
- Work closely with faculty to establish library programs, services and activities that meet instructional, research and clinical needs.
- Collaborate with other subject specialists on collection development/management and act as liaison to assigned departments.
- Provide information and instructional services, both in person and using digital media, in areas of liaison responsibility. Digital media may include websites, interactive online learning objects, tutorials and social networking.
- Monitor trends in scholarly publishing in areas of liaison responsibility to inform the design of library services and the development of library collections.
- Provide consultation and instruction on the development of literature searches in support of evidence-based practice.
- Participate in professional activities and monitor developments in best practices elsewhere to ensure the excellence of Stony Brook University Libraries research, clinical and instruction services.
- Contribute to library-wide information, instruction and research support services, including virtual reference.
- Serve on library and/or Stony Brook University campus committees, task forces and working groups.
- Engage in scholarly and professional activities, as well as participate in library and university service, in fulfillment of scholarly and service responsibilities.
Special Notes: This is a tenure track position. Faculty rank and salary will be based upon applicant's qualifications and experience. Anticipated start date: as soon as possible. **Applications will be accepted until the position is filled. However, to guarantee consideration, please apply by 09/09/2014.
The selected candidate must successfully clear a background investigation.
Application Procedure: Those interested in this position should submit a State employment application, cover letter and resume/CV to:
Health Sciences Library
Health Sciences Center, Level 3, Room 142
Stony Brook University
Stony Brook, NY 11794-8034
Fax # 631-444-6649
Applications for this position must be received, as specified in the Application Procedure Section, no later than 5:00 PM Eastern Time on 09/09/2014, unless specifically noted otherwise in the Special Notes Section.
STONY BROOK UNIVERSITY IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION/EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. WE ENCOURAGE PROTECTED VETERANS, INDIVIDUALS WITH DISABILITIES, WOMEN AND MINORITIES TO APPLY.
IF YOU NEED A DISABILITY-RELATED ACCOMMODATION, PLEASE CALL THE UNIVERSITY HUMAN RESOURCE SERVICES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 632-6161 OR THE UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL HUMAN RESOURCES DEPARTMENT AT (631) 444-4700.
IN ACCORDANCE WITH THE TITLE II CRIME AWARENESS AND SECURITY ACT, A COPY OF OUR CRIME STATISTICS IS AVAILABLE UPON REQUEST BY CALLING (631) 632-6350. IT CAN ALSO BE VIEWED ON-LINE AT THE UNIVERSITY POLICE WEBSITE AT http://www.stonybrook.edu/police
Job Category: A) Faculty and Librarian Positions.
Posting Date: 08/10/2014
Additional Categories: A2) Health Science and Medical Center Faculty.