Research Associate II
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Division of Infectious Disease & Immunology is committed to the three core missions of the Department of Medicine: Research, Teaching and Clinical Care. Our dedicated faculty are engaged in cutting edge research on innate immunity and host:pathogen interactions. In addition, we are passionately dedicated to educating the next generation of physicians and scientists to meet the many challenges involved in fighting infectious disorders. Our clinical faculty are equally devoted to providing the best medical care possible for our patients and the best education possible for medical students and doctors in training.
Research focuses on how viruses interact with pattern recognition receptors, including Toll-like receptors and RIG-I-like receptors, to activate inflammatory cytokine responses and produce type I interferons. The lab is currently conducting studies with coxsackie B virus, herpesviruses, and influenza A virus, characterizing their interactions with receptors in different cell types including neutrophils, dendritic cells, and monocytes/macrophages. The lab is also studying the contribution of enteroviruses to type 1 diabetes.
Under the general direction of the Principal Investigator or designee, the Research Associate II performs a variety of complex research experiments and is responsible for overseeing laboratory operations within the Department.
- Perform complex laboratory experiments and conduct in-depth analysis of research experiments
- Write standard operating procedures, schedule work, analyze data, maintain accurate records, and write reports
- Report the status of projects and observations to the Department Chair
- Ensure departmental computer resources remain functional and provide on-site support to Investigators as requested
- Design and execute protocols and experiments, modify protocols as needed, and may be responsible for own research project
- Manage laboratory research staff
- Responsible for overall laboratory organization including oversight of safety protocols and the maintenance of related records
- May assist with budget and/or operational aspects of grant and contract proposals
- Long-range planning for laboratory and departmental equipment maintenance and replacement. Assist in procurement of departmental equipment. Responsible for physical inventory of all equipment, and maintaining records of all equipment acquired, moved off-site, or discarded
- Oversee and coordinate the use of centralized departmental facilities
- Work with Facilities Engineering, Environmental Health and Safety, and Radiation Safety to ensure department facilities and laboratories are in compliance with federal, state and institutional regulations
- Assist in writing the text of scientific publications and grants. Review literature
- Oversee and assist in the training of new laboratory personnel, students, and collaborators
- Comply with all safety and infection control standards
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree in the Biological Sciences, or equivalent experience
- 5 years of relevant research experience
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office products
- Strong ability to analyze complex visual data in a quantitative and objective manner
- Judgment and action skills required to solve commonly encountered problems
- 3+ years tissue culture experience
- 3+ years with influenza, or coxsacki B virus or herpes virus
Under the direction of the Principal Investigator, or designee
Supervise aides, technicians, and associates
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING CONDITIONS:
Wet chemistry laboratory, and may require appropriate contact with biohazards, radionuclides, toxins, animals, and human specimens
UMass Medical School is committed to being an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and recognizes the power of a diverse community. We encourage applications from protected veterans, individuals with disabilities and those with varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds to consider UMass Medical School as their employer of choice.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled.