Clerkship Education Coordinator
GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
Emergency Medicine is an academic department of UMass medical School which provides emergency medical care at the many of the emergency departments of Umass Memorial Healthcare as well as prehospital care through Worcester EMS and UMass Memorial LifeFlight.
Our Emergency Medicine Residency and subspecialty Fellowship programs prepare Emergency Medicine Physician specialists for academic and community practice. Research activities focus on answering a variety of clinical and basic science questions. Our Continuing Medical Education and International Emergency Medicine Programs provide educational and training opportunities to the national and international Emergency Medicine and Disaster Response communities. The UMMS Disaster Medical Assistance Team is part of the National Medical Disaster System and responds, if called upon, in the event of national or international medical disasters.
Under the direction of the Clerkship Director and Residency Manager. The Clerkship Education Coordinator is responsible for a wide range of complex planning and administrative functions for the clerkship and residency programs within the Department. Under the general supervision of the Clerkship Director, this position is responsible for a wide range of administrative functions for the UMMS student clerkship, and other medical student programs.
- Primary liaison between the Clerkship Program Director, medical students and UME Faculty with the UME and numerous Medical Center and Medical School departments, affiliated teaching sites, and external agencies concerning UME programs.
- Primary liaison between the Student Clerkship Director, Medical Students, UMMS Office of Medical Education, affiliated teaching hospitals and community physician practices concerning the medical student clerkship
- Coordinates and administers, in consultation with the Office of Undergraduate Medical Education, the timely accurate and complete implementation of numerous personnel and regulatory procedures for incoming, continuing and graduating medical students in their rotations.
- Schedules clerkship rotations for UMMS and visiting medical students and manages clerkship evaluation process. In conjunction with the clerkship director, approve site placements and adjustments to schedule
- May assist in the design of resident and program evaluation systems. Manage confidential evaluations of faculty and the educational program. Prepares reports and correspondence related to highly confidential materials
- Process graduate credentialing materials
- Participate in the design and development of curriculum, course materials, and student resources in collaboration with the course director and faculty
- Coordinate conferences, grand rounds, outside guest speakers and other formal didactic events; maintains faculty and medical student attendance reports.
- Manage and coordinate all administrative duties relative to the medical student rotation. Ensures completion of application materials and maintains confidential applicant files
- Assists in the design of and maintains the clerkship program web site
- Work with clerkship directors to develop goals and program policies to support the educational mission of the Department. Responsible for implementation of an operational plan to meet goals and objectives
- Manage program budget, accounting for clerkship related expenditures.
- May supervise secretarial staff supporting the Department’s educational programs.
- Establishes and coordinates with the Program Director, training site rotation schedules, clinic schedules, electives and other medical student assignments; maintains accurate records of medical student schedules and provides documentation for program accreditation and other purposes.
- Responsible for program data collection and the preparation of all program accreditation documents
- May utilize and maintain E-value computer software to store and track residency evaluations and faculty compliance rates with evaluation completion. Assists in development of e-value evaluation forms.
- May assist in the scheduling of applicant interviews and coordination of “interview days.” May assist in developing and maintaining; residency selection and applicant ranking committees.
- Perform other duties as required
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience.
- 1 year of related experience in a health care setting.
- Proficient use of Microsoft Office programs. Proficiency or demonstrated ability to learn additional software programs.
- Knowledge of ACGME requirements for approved residency training programs desired.
- Demonstrated project management skills.
- Demonstrated experience in setting priorities, delegation of duties and independent decision making.
- Knowledge of developing evaluation instruments and monitoring evaluation process.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and written and verbal communication skills.
Additional skills preferred but not required:
- Interest in Emergency Medicine Education/Simulation
- Previous Student Coordinator experience
- Experience with Web-design and social media
- Advanced computer skills, including database management and Course management systems (ie – blackboard Learn
- Highly organized and attention to detail
- Ability to work independently with little or no supervision
UMass Medical School is committed to being an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer and recognizes the power of a diverse community. We encourage applications from protected veterans, individuals with disabilities and those with varied experiences, perspectives and backgrounds to consider UMass Medical School as their employer of choice.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled.