Assistant Athletic Director
Founded in 1845, Wittenberg is a nationally ranked, private, liberal arts college related to the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America and has an enrollment of about 2,000 students. Wittenberg enjoys a national reputation for excellent academic standards and is widely known for its friendly and welcoming atmosphere. Wittenberg has an exceptional staff and award-winning faculty who share a commitment to undergraduate teaching, research, and development of students into successful global citizens. Situated on 100 acres of rolling hills in Springfield Ohio, Wittenberg is easily accessible from Columbus, Dayton and Cincinnati.
Wittenberg is a NCAA Division III institution participating in the North Coast Athletic Conference (NCAC) and offers a broad-based intercollegiate athletics program with 23 varsity teams and numerous club and intramural opportunities. Annually, Wittenberg places among the top four in the North Coast Athletic Conference All-sports standings.
Wittenberg University is seeking applications for an Assistant Athletic Director. This is a full-time position and responsibilities include all aspects of assisting with a Division III athletic program.
Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
Student Engagement & Retention
- Work collaboratively with the Co-Directors of Student Success to promote, support, and foster increased participation in the programs and services aimed to increase retention of students (including athletes and former athletes) at Wittenberg.
- Support, market, and promote club sports and intramural programs as a viable alternative to participation in varsity sports.
- Supervise staff assigned to oversee the intramural program and ensure compliance and growth with aspects including risk management, logistics, participation, and student employee training.
- Assist in the creation of a robust campus recreational program that meets the needs of students, staff, and faculty.
- Work collaboratively with the Associate Dean for Multicultural Student Programs on retention initiatives geared for athletes and students of color and those athletes who come from outside of Ohio.
- Support the work of the First Year Success Advisor assigned to Athletics in meeting with and working with students who are retention risks.
- Oversee the implementation of the STATS (student mentoring program), FAST (freshmen probation program), and Study Table programs.
- Facilitate student athlete compliance and orientation sessions and represent the Athletic Department at all related University events.
- Coordinate senior exit interview, team, and department evaluations.
- Work in conjunction with the Director of Athletics to monitor and track recruiting trends, progress of recruiting efforts by the department, identification in areas of improvement, and assist coaches with the creation and implementation of recruiting plans.
- Collaborate with the Director of Athletic Communications on the implementation of Front Rush for each team for both communication and tracking purposes and in reviewing and creating recruiting materials.
- Represent the athletic department at the admissions staff meeting and all admissions, and University-related recruitment events.
Alumni & Community Engagement
- Assist coaches with coordination of alumni events.
- Provide social events for Tiger Club members.
- Create and market a season ticket package.
- Engage community members with athletic and recreational events.
- Create, market, and promote a summer sports camp series.
- Assist Athletic Director with alumni and community events designed to increase revenue in areas such as corporate sponsorships, preferred vendors, event sponsorship, and raising funds for increased departmental sustainability.
For this position, we require that candidates have a bachelor's degree; master’s degree preferred. Additionally we require 3-5 years of relevant experience.
Review of applications will begin immediately and the position will remain open until filled.
Wittenberg is committed to attracting and retaining highly qualified individuals who collectively reflect the diversity of our student body and society at-large. We believe it is educationally imperative to further our students' appreciation and understanding of a culturally diverse society, and we are committed to ensuring a diverse environment for all individuals, regardless of race, gender, religion, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, physical ability, or disability. In that spirit, we are especially interested in receiving applications from individuals who would contribute to the diversity of our community.
To apply, please set-up an account and make application through our online system. Then, upload the following documents in MS Word or Adobe Acrobat format:
- A cover letter
- Names, address and phone numbers of three professional references
If you are a person with a disability and require assistance with the application process, please contact Wittenberg's Human Resources Department at (937) 327-7517.