IT Web Specialist 2
Appointment Type: Administrative/Professional Faculty
Department: Aquaculture CRSP 212600 APD
Position Summary: The Department of Aquaculture and Fisheries (AquaFish) invites applications for a full-time (1.0 FTE), 12-month, fixed-term Information Technology (IT) Web Specialist 2 position. Reappointment is at the discretion of the Department Head.
The IT Web Specialist 2 position is under the Feed the Future Innovation Lab for Collaborative Research on Aquaculture & Fisheries (AquaFish) at Oregon State University. AquaFish is a multinational, multi-institutional, and multidisciplinary program operating under an award from the United States Agency for International Development (USAID). Its work is performed through a partnership of researchers located at US universities and overseas institutions that focus on improving sustainable aquaculture and fisheries.
Oregon State University serves as the Management Entity (ME) of AquaFish with scientific, programmatic, and financial leadership for the performance of grant provisions. ME technical and programmatic activities at OSU are carried out by a Management Office, in support of the Director and Principal Investigator (PI). More information is available at http://aquafish.oregonstate.edu.
The IT Web Specialist 2 position will lead specialized information and communications technology and web development activities for AquaFish in support of the Unit's mission and in consultation with the Director and Management Office staff. The incumbent will build upon the existing AquaFish Innovation Lab websites to optimize functionality towards achieving the Unit's stated international development, information dissemination, and research management goals. This position will administer the AquaFish website and be directly involved in the design and development of new and forward-looking web-based features including secure online reporting and database management. This position will also provide advice and training on information and communications technology systems and web-based tools (including databases) to Unit staff. The IT Web Specialist 2 may be required to travel to meetings, workshops, and trainings and will be required to maintain confidential information (including user names, passwords, personal information, etc). This position will report directly to the Administrative Officer.
Position Duties: 40% Design, develop, and provide daily operation and administration of AquaFish web pages, web-based reporting forms, and databases:
- Design, develop, and maintain interactive and secure websites, content delivery tools, and online reporting forms to interface with US and project partners overseas, including in developing countries.
- Design and administer database systems and programs to include access methods, access time, data hierarchy, file structures, device allocation, validation checks, and security.
- Design and administer effective interfaces between websites, applications, and database systems, allowing for online data entry, retrieval, sorting, queries, and monitoring on a variety of browsers.
- Develop and maintain backup, archive, and security systems for websites and databases. Security systems include regulating user access rights and administrative user hierarchy.
- Develop administrative controls for easy in-house manipulation, viewing, and control of AquaFish databases and websites.
- Conduct periodic reviews of website and database functionality to monitor effectiveness, improve the current system, and quality control. Part of this responsibility requires setting up and tracking online analytics and maintaining search engine optimization.
- Interact with Oregon State University's Community Network and Central Web Services to ensure all web and database hosting is adequate and functional, including scheduled back-up to Oregon State University servers.
- Develop, manage, and document processes and procedures used for the design, development, and maintenance of all websites, databases, and other on-line tools.
- Maintain sensitive documents and information (including user names, passwords, budget/salary information, etc.) on a secure password- protected website.
- Maintain computer and small electronics inventory at the unit level.
30% Analyze, research, and make recommendations regarding information and communications technology systems:
- Compile and analyze data from a variety of sources relating to AquaFish's information and communications technology systems, AquaFish's web-based outreach and information dissemination efforts, and other areas of interest to USAID and AquaFish leadership for impact and performance reporting.
- Design, develop, and support, as applicable, blogs, podcasts, and webinars to interact with and disseminate information to further aquaculture and fisheries development in target countries, tailored to farmers, extension agents, researchers, policy makers, and other
- Research and provide recommendations regarding cutting-edge methods of information dissemination through digital and social media.
- Ensure websites comply with AquaFish and USAID branding and marking guidelines and other OSU, State, and Federal requirements.
Position Duties (continued): 15% Unit resource and instruction:
- Provide training to unit staff and other program participants on changes or updates to applicable information and communications technologies, such as web-based tools.
- Serve as a resource for the Unit on the role and applicability of cutting-edge information and communications technologies in the field of international agriculture development.
- This position may require minimal travel to provide technical support at the AquaFish Annual Meetings and other events; and to interact with AquaFish-funded researchers to troubleshoot and improve data collection, database management, and the integrated website and database systems' functionality.
- Plan, assign, and approve work of up to 2 student workers.
10% Other related duties as assigned.
Working Conditions/Work Schedule:
Minimum/Required Qualifications: Bachelor's degree, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, in a field related to IT/computer science, or other science or technology.
Highly organized and detail oriented, with attention to quality control. Ability to prioritize and work on multiple tasks to meet both short and long-term deadlines.
Effective written, verbal, and interpersonal communication skills.
Knowledge of project management methodologies; project management experience.
Ability to work effectively in a team environment with diverse users to assess their needs and communicate technology solutions.
Demonstrated experience in design and development of integrated website and relational databases (e.g. MySQL, PostgreSQL) with performance and security considerations. Applicants who are invited to interview for this position will be asked to provide specific examples.
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a Criminal History Check and be determined to be position qualified as per OAR 576-055-0000 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions and those in Youth Programs may have additional Criminal History Checks every 24 months.
This position requires driving a University vehicle or a personal vehicle on behalf of the University; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a Motor Vehicle History Check, possess and maintain a current, valid driver's license in their state of residence, be determined to be position qualified and self-report convictions (as per Voluntary and Compulsory Driver Standards OAR 125-155-0200) as per OAR 576-056-0000 et seq.
Preferred (Special) Qualifications: Experience working in a research environment.
International development experience.
Demonstrable success in working with web content management systems, such as Drupal.
A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
Global perspective of web interfaces and experience creating output for users from diverse cultures, especially for an international audience.
Experience working with USAID or other Federal, State, or private donor agencies.
Scholarly Outcomes for Position (academic faculty only):
Posting Date: 07-28-2014
For Full Consideration Date:
Closing Date: 08-27-2014
Recommended Full-Time Salary Range: $46,600 - $79,300
Posting Number: 0012870
Quicklink for Posting: jobs.oregonstate.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=64570