Appointment Type: Administrative/Professional Faculty
Department: Sch of Chem/Bio/Envr Eng 305000 ECB
Position Summary: The College of Engineering at Oregon State University (OSU) invites applications for the position of Head of the School of Chemical, Biological and Environmental Engineering (CBEE). This is a full-time (1.0 FTE) 12-month, position. Salary is commensurate with education and experience. Required qualifications include a PhD in chemical, biological, environmental engineering or a closely related field, demonstrated successful leadership and management experience, significant record of achievement that merits appointment as a tenured full-professor within the School, and a demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
The School is experiencing a period of rapid and exciting growth, and the College of Engineering is looking for a dynamic individual who will provide leadership of the School.
The School of CBEE at Oregon State University is home to undergraduate programs in chemical engineering, bioengineering, and environmental engineering, and graduate programs in chemical engineering and environmental engineering. It is the only academic unit within the United States to house these programs within a single School. The School consists presently of 40 members, including 24 full-time, tenure/tenure-track faculty members, and enrolls over 1000 undergraduate and 100 graduate students. The School emphasizes the integration of chemical, biological and environmental engineering principles and practice in a student-centered learning environment to provide work-ready graduates and technical solutions for a sustainable future. Research expenditures have doubled over the last three years, and current cross-disciplinary emphasis areas include thin films and nanostructured materials for renewable energy and electronic device applications, bioprocess engineering and biofuels, biomaterials and therapeutics, transport and remediation of contaminants in the subsurface, waste water treatment, interaction of nanomaterials with the environment, microtechnology for chemical and energy processing applications, and engineering education research. The School enjoys strong ties with the semiconductor, bioscience, and environmental consulting sectors in the Pacific Northwest, as well as with the US DOE Pacific Northwest National Laboratory (PNNL). At the institution and state level, the School also has strong relations with the Oregon Nanoscience and Microtechnology Institute (ONAMI), particularly the OSU-PNNL Microproducts Breakthrough Institute (MBI), the Oregon Center for Built Environment and Sustainable Technologies (BEST), the OSU Center for Research on Lifelong STEM Learning, and the Institute for Water and Watersheds.
Position Duties: 40% Strategic Leadership of the School & Collaboration with College Leaders
- Develop and implement a strategic plan that results in excellent academic and research programs.
- Work collaboratively to grow research programs and maximize its impact.
- Enrich the School's community of faculty, staff, and students.
- Advance the core purpose of the College by creating opportunities for our students, contributing to economic development and solving important societal problems.
- Collaborate to advance the vision and goals of the College and University.
20% Management of School Operations
- Manage financial resources to achieve budget targets.
- Maintain compliance with ABET accreditation requirements.
- Oversee student advising and other student services provided by the School.
- Manage physical resources, including laboratories and other physical assets needed to deliver programs.
10% Teaching and Research
- Maintain critical elements of research program needed to maintain cutting-edge activity, including collaboration with research-active faculty.
- Assist with teaching of large courses in collaboration with other CBEE faculty.
10% Fund Development
- Create a compelling case for private investment.
- Fund development in collaboration with OSU Foundation development staff to help secure resources needed to achieve strategic goals.
- Cultivate prospective donors.
- Propose and close gifts.
- Steward donors.
- Enrichment of School community of faculty, staff, and students.
- Supervise support staff and conduct performance reviews of faculty as needed.
- Support and develop personnel.
10% Other responsibilities as requested by the Dean.
Position Duties (continued):
Working Conditions/Work Schedule:
Minimum/Required Qualifications: PhD in a field associated with chemical, biological, or environmental engineering.
Demonstrated successful managerial and leadership experience.
Significant record of achievement that merits appointment as tenured full-professor within the department.
A demonstrable commitment to promoting and enhancing diversity.
This position is designated as a critical or security-sensitive position; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a Criminal History Check and be determined to be position qualified as per OAR 576-055-0000 et seq. Incumbents are required to self-report convictions and those in Youth Programs may have additional Criminal History Checks every 24 months.
This position requires driving a University vehicle or a personal vehicle on behalf of the University; therefore, the incumbent must successfully complete a Motor Vehicle History Check, possess and maintain a current, valid driver's license in their state of residence, be determined to be position qualified and self-report convictions (as per Voluntary and Compulsory Driver Standards OAR 125-155-0200) as per OAR 576-056-0000 et seq. Offers of employment are contingent upon meeting all minimum qualifications including the Motor Vehicle Check Requirement.
Preferred (Special) Qualifications: Current or previous tenured position in academia.
Demonstrated leadership and management of complex programs.
Demonstrated experience in process engineering.
Demonstrated history of cross-disciplinary externally funded research.
Successful collaboration with industry.
Scholarly Outcomes for Position (academic faculty only):
Posting Date: 02-03-2014
For Full Consideration Date: 04-01-2014
Closing Date: 09-15-2014
Recommended Full-Time Salary Range: Salary is commensurate with education and experience.
Posting Number: 0011921
Quicklink for Posting: jobs.oregonstate.edu/applicants/Central?quickFind=63525