Assistant Director for LGBT and Ally Education 0406165
Assistant Director for LGBT and Ally Education – 0406165
The Assistant Director for LGBT and Ally Education will work to create an affirming and educational atmosphere for LGBT individuals and allies at James Madison University (JMU) by promoting JMU's commitment to diversity and leading efforts to provide education, support, advocacy and the fostering of equity for all students, regardless of sexual orientation or gender identity. This position will be responsible for the development, delivery and evaluation of a comprehensive university program on lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender issues and will oversee the daily operations of the LGBT and Ally Education Program Office, which is located organizationally and physically within the University Health Center (UHC). The Assistant Director for LGBT and Ally Education reports to the Associate Director for Educational Programs.
Duties and Responsibilities include:
- Plan, implement and evaluate relevant programs that facilitate learning opportunities within the JMU community.
- Build strategic partnerships with JMU departments and programs in support of the mission and goals of LGBT and Ally Education, and collaborate in the creation of programs and services.
- Coordinate needs assessment, strategic planning, budget development, program evaluation and outcomes assessment.
- Plan, implement and evaluate evidence-based primary prevention programs including bystander intervention in the areas of oppression, hate crimes and language, violence against the LGBT community and healthy relationships.
- Hire, train and supervise Graduate Assistants, practicum students and interns.
- Oversee and direct LGBT and Ally Education volunteers and the LGBT Advisory Board.
- Manage allocated funds and seek alternate funding sources as needed.
- Represent LGBT and Ally Education on key university groups and committees.
- Coordinate the JMU Safe Zone Program.
- Provide resources, programming ideas and consulting to faculty who teach courses at the university that directly relate to LGBT issues.
- Work with UHC marketing and information staff to promote programs and services.
- Create a safe environment in which to serve as a referral source and provide consultation as needed to JMU students.
- Develop and maintain the LGBT and Ally Education library and resource center.
- Carry out other duties as assigned within the UHC and the university.
- Master's degree strongly preferred in student affairs, college student personnel, higher education, counseling, gender studies, public health or related area.
- Three or more years of relevant experience, preferably in a college or university setting working with LGBT communities and issues.
- Experience counseling or advising students in a one-on-one setting.
- Appropriate leadership, creative and problem solving skills.
- The ability to coordinate a variety of concurrent projects, programs and events.
- Excellent communication skills, especially with students and senior administrators.
To apply go to JobLink.jmu.edu and reference posting number 0406165. Pay range is $40,000 - $45,000 based upon experience. James Madison University is committed to a diverse and inclusive community and to maintaining a work and educational environment that is free of all forms of discrimination. This institution does not tolerate discrimination or harassment on the basis of age, color, disability, gender identity, genetic information, national origin, parental status, political affiliation, race, religion, sex, sexual orientation or veteran status. Anyone having questions concerning discrimination should contact the Office for Equal Opportunity: (540) 568-6991.