Assistant Volleyball Coach
Bucknell University seeks applications for an Assistant Volleyball Coach within the Department of Athletics and Recreation. Bucknell is a highly selective, privately endowed comprehensive university of 3,400 students that is a member of the NCAA Division I (FCS in Football) and the Patriot League for 23 of 27 varsity sports. The University is located in Lewisburg on a 450-acre campus in central Pennsylvania's Susquehanna River Valley. New York City, Washington, D.C., Baltimore, and Philadelphia are each within a 3 Â½ hour drive from Lewisburg. The position is responsible for on-field coaching and recruitment of academically-qualified student athletes for a NCAA Division I volleyball program, within the guidelines, rules and regulations of Bucknell University, the NCAA, and the Patriot League.
Duties and Responsibilities
1. Lead training and practice sessions, ensuring that all appropriate safety guidelines and standards are maintained. Perform specific coaching responsibilities during athletic events. Attend coaches preparatory meetings and implement strategies resulting from these meetings.
2. Assigned responsibilities within the daily operations and overall administration of the sports program.
3. Develop a comprehensive and functional knowledge of the sport and maintain a thorough and continuing familiarity with all applicable University and NCAA regulations.
4. Scout and recruit quality student-athletes under the guidance and direction of the head coach and coordinate all recruiting activities with the head coach and with appropriate Departmental personnel. Be responsible to identify, cultivate and assess for a specific geographical area or position group
5. Serve as an Academic Enhancement staff member responsible for all facets of the sport specific academic program, including the monitoring of individual student-athletes academic progress as expressed by the faculty. Demonstrate an active interest in the academic progress of student-athletes. Work closely with all appropriate Departmental personnel to assure academic success of student-athletes.
6. Work with student-athletes to monitor adherence to rules and regulations regarding conduct, appearance and behavior. Provide individual counseling to student-athletes when appropriate and direct the student-athlete to professional staff when needed.
7. Work closely with the athletic training staff to insure the safety of all student-athletes.
8. Perform other duties as assigned.
9. Teach in Departmental wellness program as assigned.
10. Represents the sports program to various institutional programs and externally to the media, funding agencies, students, parents, faculty and the general public.
11. Maintain current CPR and First Aid Certifications.
1. Bachelors Degree.
2. Strong communication (verbal and written) and interpersonal skills combined with the ability to collaborate effectively with colleagues and student-athletes having a range of backgrounds, interests, and perspectives.
1. Collegiate playing/coaching experience.
2. Proven integrity, leadership, and a thorough knowledge of NCAA rules and regulations is essential. Candidate should possess a strong commitment and ability to motivate, teach, counsel, and recruit academically qualified student-athletes.
1. Work involves considerable exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, smoke, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
2. Moderate physical activity. Requires handling of average-weight objects up to 25 pounds. Requires standing and/or walking for more than four (4) hours per day.
Bucknell University, an Equal Opportunity Employer, believes that students learn best in a diverse, inclusive community and is therefore committed to academic excellence through diversity in its faculty, staff, and students. We seek candidates who are committed to Bucknell's efforts to create a climate that fosters the growth and development of a diverse student body, and we welcome applications from members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education.
Bucknell University is a private, highly ranked, national liberal arts institution that also offers strong professional programs in engineering, business, education, and music. Located in Central Pennsylvania along the Susquehanna River, Bucknell is nestled in the Borough of Lewisburg, an appealing Victorian-style town ranked as one of America's best small towns. The Lewisburg area offers a unique combination of outdoor recreation opportunities, small-town charm, and appealing amenities such as restaurants, art galleries, an art deco theater, museums, and boutiques. In addition to the many cultural and athletic events offered by the University and the Borough, the surrounding region offers outstanding schools, medical facilities, and an affordable cost of living. For those who crave the city, Bucknell is within an easy three-hour drive to Philadelphia, New York, Baltimore, and Washington, D.C.