Facilities Mechanical Engineer
UNC Asheville is seeking applicants for a Facilities Mechanical Engineer to oversee the work of architects, engineers, construction management firms, and general contractors hired by the University to design and construct capital projects. The Engineer will be responsible for ensuring that:
- work performed by outside firms meet the University’s project intent and design standards;
- projects are delivered within budget and on time;
- projects incorporate sustainable/LEED principles where appropriate;
- consultant and contractor work is in compliance with University and State Construction Office regulations and procedures. The position also provides long-term vision, direction, strategic planning, oversight and consultation for mechanical systems, including managing the formal processes for construction administration and assists with negotiating consulting contracts. The Engineer will provide a full range of mechanical design services for in house projects involving simple repairs, replacements, and/or renovation including:
- serving as the primary knowledge base and resource for designing, evaluating and troubleshooting HVAC systems for the University, including ground source heat pump systems;
- providing HVAC, piping, fire sprinkler and plumbing design reviews as needed;
- preparing cost estimates on Mechanical aspects of planned projects.
- a B.S.E. in Mechanical Engineering;
- a North Carolina Professional Engineer’s license. (Applicants licensed by another state may also be considered if able to obtain a North Carolina Professional Engineer’s license within 6 months from date of hire.)
- 4-6 years of demonstrable, practical, mechanical project engineering experience;
- 10-12 years of practical experience in the construction/design engineering business;
- a minimum of 5 years of experience with the operation and programming of a building automation system, with additional preference given to familiarity with Automated Logic Corporation controls.